5 - Rescue

Y/n pov

"Y/n!" A faint voice broke through the darkness. "Y/n!" It was louder this time.

I groaned and slowly opened my eyes, i closed them again due to the brightness. "Come on, you got it." I slowly reopened my eyes and saw Tony hovering above me. He gave a small chuckle and sighed. "Come on, let's get you up."

"I groaned again and sat up. We were in the sand, surrounded by the parts from the suit. I sighed in relief when I realized that the battery attached to my chest made it through the explosion. I grabbed it and held it close to my chest.

I let out a laugh. We were free.

Tony leaned down to me and pulled me up by my arms. Once I was up, he pulled me close and hugged me.

We stood like that for a few more minutes before we seperated. "Now, what do you say we get as far away form that hell hole as possible?"

I laughed. "Yeah. That sounds good."

We turned and started walking away from the destroyed base.

-

It had been hours since we made it out. Tony had taken the jacket he was wearing and placed it over my head to protect me from the sun.

The battery was feeling heavy in my arms as we trudged through the sand slowly.

The sound of helecopters broke both of us out of our dilerious states. We saw about three helecopters coming our way and started waving and yelling. One of them landed and the other two stayed in the air.

The door of the one on the gruond landed and I saw Rhodey jump out and come running toward us with two men behind him.

We both drop onto our knees and sigh in relief.

Rhodey leans down to Tony and smiles. "How was the Fun-vee?" Tony started laughing. "Next time you ride with me, okay?"

Rhoedy looks over to me and then sees the battery in my arms. He sees the cords connected to them and follows them to the bandages on my chest. His smile fades. "Oh my god what the hell did they do to you?"

I just smiled. "I'm okay."

-

Tony and I were both in wheelchairs on the ramp of the plane, waiting for it to finish dropping.

The first thing I saw was Pepper standing next to Happy, both with smiles on their faces. Tony stood from the wheelchair he saw in and started walking while Rhodey wheeled me down, the battery in my lap.

It was decided that I would say in the wheelchair, as much as I insisted that I could walk without it, because of the battery and the bullet that never got taken out of my leg.

On the plane I had refused to let anyone look at me or touch the battery. All I had been given was a shirt to place over the bandages and cords and changed into a pair of nice jeans.

Two stretchers started being rolled toward us and Tony waved them away. "Are you kidding me with those? Get rid of them." Tony looked to me and I gave him a grateful smile.

Once I was at the bottom of the ramp I waved Rhodey away and started rolling myself next to Tony's side.

We were headed straight for Pepper and Happy. Once we reached them we could see that Pepper's eyes were slightly red. "Your eyes are red. Few tears for your long lost boss?"

Pepper laughed slightly. "Tears of joy. I hate job hunting."

Tony looked around and then his eyes landed on me and the battery in my lap. "Yeah, vacation's over."