22 - Heat Rising

As the female makes her way toward the lab, she wipes at her watery eyes and narrowly avoids Steve angrily storming through a doorway and almost crashing into her. He carries a large gun in his hands  The man does not acknowledge her and continues on his way after stepping around her. She quickly follows after him, curious to see as to why the super soldier was so angry. 

Once they walk through the lab door, she hears Tony, "And you'll get your cube back, no muss, no fuss. What is Phase Two?"

Steve slams the weapon down on a table and the girl flinches and takes a step backwards, making Tony look at her. 

The soldier speaks, anger lacing his words, "Phase Two is SHIELD uses the cube to make weapons." He turns toward Tony, "Sorry, computer was moving a little slow for me."

Tony ignores the soldier when he notices Y/n's red eyes and puffy cheeks. He furrows his eyebrows and makes his way toward the woman, wiping her cheeks lightly with the pads of his thumbs. She wraps her arms around him and buries her face in his chest.

Nick begins speaking, "Rogers, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract. This does not mean that we're-"

Tony, who had begun working on a computer while his girlfriend continued to hug him, turned the screen around to show the other people in the room what he was looking at. 

On the screen, there were blueprints and plans for the weapon that Steve had ever-so-gracefully placed on the table. "I'm sorry Nick, what were you lying?"

Steve looks at Fury with a glare, "I was wrong, Director. The world hasn't changed a bit."

At that moment, Natasha walked into the room, followed by Thor. Bruce turned to her, irritated, "Did you know about this?"

The assassin did not acknowledge the jab, "You wanna think about removing yourself from this environment, doctor?"

"I was in Calcutta, I was pretty well removed."

"Loki's manipulating you."

"And you've been doing what exactly?" The Doctor glared at the woman.

Natasha grew annoyed at the man and took a step toward him. "You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you."

"Yes, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy." He turned to Fury, "I'd like to know why SHIELD is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction."

Nick sighed. "Because of him." He gestured to Thor.

The god was stunned, "Me?"

"Last year earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned."

Thor frowned, "My people want nothing but peace with your planet."

Nick was fast to reply, "But you're not the only people out there, are you? And, you're not the only threat. The world's filling up with people who can't be matched, they can't be controlled."

Steve glared at the man, "Like you controlled the cube."

Thor re-joined the conversation. "Your work with the Tesseract is what drew Loki to it, and his allies. It is the signal to all the realms that the earth is ready for a higher form of war."

"A higher form?" The Captain turned to the god.

Nick's frown deepened, "You forced our hand. We had to come up with something."

Tony, the girl still In his arms, jumped in, "Nuclear deterrent. 'Cause that always calms everything right down."

"Remind me again how you made your fortune, Stark?" Nick questioned the man.