Round Two

WOODS The Volturi – Jane, Alec, Demetri and Felix – slide past the trees with effortless grace and speed

WOODS
The Volturi – Jane, Alec, Demetri and Felix – slide past the trees with effortless grace and speed.

CLEARING IN THE WOODS
      A massive fire burns as the Cullens and the wolves hurriedly drag what's left of the newborns to it for the incineration. A purple-black smoke rises. Jane and Edward race out of the trees, bee-lining for Alice and the rest of the Cullens as they gather near the fire. Jane immediately spots Jacob and Bella.

    "How long," Edward asks. "A few minutes. Maybe ten," Alice replies. "They timed their arrival well," Rosalie takes notice. "Probably hoping the newborns took a few of us out," Emmett adds in. Edward stops as he sees someone by the fire. "What's she doing here," he asks. Jane looks to the fire – by which cowers the newborn Bree.

    "We offered her safe haven if she stopped fighting. She took it," Esme responds. "Bella and the pack need to leave. The Volturi won't honor a truce with the werewolves," Carlisle states. Suddenly, Seth-wolf emerges from the tree-line. He sees Jane and starts toward her, but suddenly, he hears a vicious snarl coming from behind him in the woods. He spins to see a light grey wolf (Leah) cornering one last male newborn who was hiding.

Leah charges. Edward can't see the conflict, but he can hear it in his mind. "Leah, don't," he exclaims. The male newborn maneuvers out of her way and spins, grabbing her ruff. He fiercely yanks her off her paws but Jacob leaps on the male newborn tackling him. They roll into the clearing. Jacob bites a piece of his face off, but the male newborn gets his arms around Jacob and crushes him.

"Oh my God," Jane whispers. Jacob howls in agony. Bella and Jane see this from afar. "Jacob," Bella yells, calling for the love of her life. The other wolves are instantly there. They pounce on the male newborn, their teeth forcing him to release Jacob who crumples to the ground. As they pull him apart, Edward, Jane and Carlisle appear at Jacob's side.

Bella races across the field to reach for him. Jacob transforms into a human. He's naked and grotesquely twisted and broken. He's barely able to breathe. Carlisle quickly examines him as he writhes in pain; Edward steadies him, gripping his hand. "Hold on, Carlisle is gonna take care of you," he assures him. "The bones on the right half of his body are shattered," Carlisle analyzes Jacob's fractured body.

Jacob, in excruciating pain, squeezes Edward's hand. Finally, Bella reaches them and drops to her knees, sitting beside Jacob. She strokes his face, trying to comfort him. "Bella," he whispers. "Jake, I'm right here," Bella whispers. Sam, Paul, Jared, Embry, Quil and Leah, now in human form race up. "Jacob, you idiot. I had it," Leah exclaims. "Leah," Sam warns.

      "I need to set the bones before his accelerated healing kicks in. It's already starting," Carlisle states. "We need to get him out of here. We're not gonna win a fight with the Volturi," Edward looks up at his adoptive father. "We'll take him back to Billy's," Sam announces. "I'll be there as soon as I can," Carlisle assures Edward. Jane watches, worried. "Hang in there, Jake. We got you," Bella reassures him. Jacob cries out in pain as the pack lift him off the ground. Bella agonizes as she follows them into the woods.