Chapter 25 - Nerissa

'You need what?' He snaps at her, his whole body shaking in denial, shocked and unwilling to believe her words.

'Nat, listen to me, please.' Nerissa starts begging and furrows her eyebrows at him.

She truly needs him to focus. There's no time to waste.

'You must be joking, Ner. What the heck do your need dad's gun for?' He continues in the same harsh tone, ignoring her insane plea.

Then, puffing hard the air out of his lungs, he moves away, pacing the room and combing his fingers through his golden hair when the locks fall over his forehead. He had shown her the weapon when they were kids, long before his father got promoted. He's seen it one more time since then, but never dared to ask any questions. Why on Earth is she bringing it up now?

Nerissa walks to him and gently grabs his arm. Her touch compels him to look at her, in spite of his efforts to keep his stance. An instant later and all his barriers are shattered to pieces. One, a luxuriant forest and the other, a deep ocean, two unique eyes that have turned into a lifeless desert. His lips are moving, still, before him getting the chance to say any words, she cuts him off.

'I'm not sure of the exact moment it all started to fall apart, but it's too late now. I won't involve you more than I already have. Please, Nathan, don't ask any more questions. I don't want you to get hurt.' Her voice is crumbling as a few tears escape her swollen eyes.

She had thought of this ever since she stepped foot inside the terminal.

'You have it all figured out, don't you?' He erupts with rage, mad at her foolish and stubborn mind, for he knows her too well, that when she sets her mind to something, she won't budge. 'I know why you need it for. You plan to go and find Susan on your own, don't you?'

She flinches, astounded by his reaction. He never yelled at her like this. Nerissa takes a step back, speechless and embarrassed for being caught so quickly. It wasn't much of a plan to start with. Her psyche ruthlessly intervenes.

'Yes.' She sends the thought away and shifts her stare at the floor. She's lied to him too many times.

It wasn't supposed to be this hard. They have had their lives planned since they were young. How selfish of her to put him in danger like this. Her plan might have been weak and hasty, but the idea of leaving him without a word is still paining her heart. She can only hope he will understand her.

He paces the loft in silence, shooting angry glances in her direction. She does nothing but waits patiently for him to yell at her, to tell her to come to her senses. However, to her surprise, the march suddenly halts and, instead of scolding her, he starts rubbing his chin, deeply lost in his thoughts.

'Alright. I'll do it.' He says, after too long, and he begins to move again. His voice is hoarse, yet resolute.

With his athletic body, Nathan looks like he is floating over the wooden floor, his words still echoing in the empty attic. Nerissa's eyes widen with excitement, yet her happiness is soon cut short as he finishes his sentence.

'But only if I am coming with you.'

That's exactly what she was afraid of. This is why her plan was so faulty. She needs his help, but doesn't want him to waste his life for her. Before she has the chance to reply, he stops her again.

'Just listen to me, will you? I have no idea what is really happening, but I know this much. If you are willing to risk your life, I'm ready to give up mine, as well. I am coming with you, whether you like it or not!'

Nerissa stares at him voiceless, her face turning red with fury with every passing second. Does he know they may never come back alive? Is he sacrificing his life for her word? Her worthless promise? The screams in her head are so loud she can't take them anymore.