Chapter 6 - Roone

I put my leather jacket on and rush after her. The others don't ask any questions and know that is how it should be. I take my time while I pass Blondie's table, eavesdropping on their conversation and picking up a segment of their sports tactics. Most of it is all jibber-jabber and worthless to me. I pull my hoodie over my head and continue my exit, leaving their burning stares behind.

The weather, outside, is just perfect. The blue sky stretches as far as the eye can see. Its flawlessness is spotted by puffy cotton-ball clouds adding greatness to its vastness. It looks like spring, with blossom trees and brighter green leaves, but it's hard to tell. The wind doesn't feel quite right, though. Other than that, the nanites are doing a hell of a job. They erected the dome before building the city inside. At first, it was simply a translucent shield meant to make the air breathable again and shelter the construction site. It was only after they programmed the nanobots to execute complex choreographed dances, that the aegis came to life.

After the bombings, the sky turned black as ash and the smoke was so dense it was impossible to breathe. But that was only the beginning. The real enemy has been awakened. Natural catastrophes followed one after another, some flashing in the pitch-black revealing their whereabouts, while others doing the damage in utter secrecy. At the beginning, acid rains burnt everything in their way. By this point, the population more than halved. Then followed the earthquakes, creating a ripple effect so huge there was no coming back. It is said the first wave of tsunamis and hurricanes lasted only a few minutes, long enough to wipe out entire cities.

The last punch that knocked the human race out, were the thunderstorms. Flashing their spectacular, yet deadly bolts of anvil crawlers across the sky, it was Mother's Nature cruel joke of ending up the world.

Those who acted fast, and without hesitation, hid in the underground and were too frightened to hope for redemption. The air is still hard to breathe and it doesn't kill on spot. It rather brings a slow and painful death.

The pandemonium lasted for months, killing what was left of the world's last breath. Several months passed until the waters succumbed to the scorched lands, revealing a dead planet not suitable for living anymore. From what it looked like, humankind couldn't stand a chance against two lethal enemies, a viral disease and a pissed Mother Earth. But aren't we a resilient pest?

The campus is teeming with busy students, each one following a pre-established trajectory, and moving hastily from one building to another. Some are bold enough to venture in their own quests, roaming around and spending what's left of the lunch break. I keep treating them like machines, cold and empty inside, but the truth is, we are not that different. Whatever, I let it out still not in tune with that idea.

As soon as I see the front gate, I pick up the pace, striding across the perfectly trimmed lawn. I know too well that if I start running, I'll alert the guards. They are always watching, with their weasel eyes glued to the monitors.

I can't help but think that Nerissa is wandering alone in the City. The Iron Guard is more devious and dangerous than ever, and I can't afford taking any chances. Who knows where they will attack next? Unpredictable half-brained bastards! I curse under my breath and break out in a cold sweat. God, this girl can walk fast. How could I lose her twice in one day? My heart is pounding, making the blood rush through my veins. I roam the deserted city fretting and blaming myself for being so reckless. I have to get my shit together or this mission is dead.

I recall the paths she could have chosen to go back home. She usually takes the trail on the river bank, which is less crowded. However, at this hour, almost everyone is held up either at work or at the Institute. The rest of them stay hidden in their miserable homes. The only living souls you could meet on these empty streets are the patrolling guards and the stray animals that scavenge the back alleys.