Chapter 18 - Roone

My legs lead the way to the only safe haven they know. I guess we are going back to the one place secluded enough to hide both of us, the depot. Nerissa follows me blindly, lost again in her thoughts, dodging trees completely absent-minded, and tripping over exposed roots. I would give everything to know what she's thinking right now. She looks devastated, however, the pallor in her cheeks is what's scaring me the most. Her condition is only going to get worse now, that the adrenaline is slowly leaving her body. My mind races like crazy looking for a place closer to our location, but even Matt's house is all the way in the other part of the city. Good thing that the forest stretches beyond the fringe and almost near the train station.

The epinephrine in her bloodstream is keeping her numb for now, but soon she will succumb to immense pain from her sore muscles and stinging cuts. She looks like Hell! There is blood everywhere on her clothes, her beautiful face, on her bare arms. Gosh, from the way she looks she could have been hit by one of the bullets. I cringe at the gooey stain that covers the right side of my shirt. We've both been hit pretty bad.

'Have a seat on the chair over there.' I point her to the stool near the counter, as soon as we enter the attic.

She has been silent the whole time and I hate that I have to leave her alone, even for a few of seconds. I count my steps until I return with the medical kit, giving my mind something else to think about. It's harder than I thought, when the smell of her still lingers in the air from yesterday. I didn't expect her to ever step foot in here, not to mention coming twice in 24 hours.

The sound of the medical supplies hitting the wood breaks her reverie. She looks dazed, still, her breathing has returned to normal now, that she's out of danger. I must admit she's handling it better than I have predicted. I can feel her gaze following me across the room, but she doesn't say anything when I offer her a glass of water. It's time I start taking care of my injuries first, otherwise, I won't be of any help if I pass out or they get infected.

Without wasting any more time, I take off my ruined shirt and throw it on the floor. There is one nasty cut in my abdomen that needs urgent care, shard still in, but not life-threatening.

'Will you please pass the disinfectant and the bandages?' I break the ice, not really knowing what to make of her radio silence. Is she still upset or is she still in shock?

Nerissa leans forward, casually tossing the sterile bottle over to me and doing the same with the gauze roll. I grin at her little show. No one could possibly be so calm after what she's been through. Then, I grab the glass shard and slowly pull it out of my burning wound. My training guides my hands to drag it out straight and not cause more internal damage. However, halfway through, my vision starts blurring and my legs turn to jelly. I close my eyes and grab the cold counter to steady myself, hissing in pain when I finally get the sharp glass out. This will definitely leave a scar, the thought pops into my mind, as I put the bloody sliver down on the metal tray.

After I cleaned the throbbing gap in my abdomen and bandaged it, I do the same for another few superficial cuts on my arms. As I screw the cap to the antiseptic bottle, I lift my gaze to her only to find myself lost between land and water. Nerissa's stare is making me more receptive of our closeness, silently following every single move I make, and blushing when she locks her eyes on my bare chest. Her innocence is driving me insane! I take a few steps towards her, closing the distance between us, our eyes still fixed on each other. She eeks as I grab the chair from under its seat, and drag it conveniently closer to the margin. Our bodies are only inches apart, her legs softly touching mine. Suddenly, breathing gets harder and the air heavier.

'This is going to hurt like hell.' I warn her while I soak a clean cloth in the bluish liquid.

My hands are trembling not because I feel weak, but rather due to my inner battle I'm struggling to control. How can I concentrate when these juicy lips are right in front of me?