Chapter 8 - Roone

My assignment surely is a rare sight. It's like she is purposely making this whole operation harder. At school, I don't see her very often, a few glimpses of her coppery hair, rarely breaks the dullness of the monochrome hallways. In class, she's always the last to enter, completely ignoring my presence. Then, within minutes before the lecture ends, she keeps glancing towards the exit. Is she looking for new ways to avoid me even more? The only other place where she dares to show her face is the cafeteria, but then, she's always with Blondie. What's the deal between them anyway?

Much to my annoyance, our table is getting more crowded. I know I am enjoying my senior days, still, not as much as Matt and Elias, who are having a blast! All these new chicks joining us, are giving me a headache.

We weren't that lucky to have a normal high school experience, and they certainly are making up for it. Military school is not something you "enjoy", but rather get-up-and-get-through-the-day. Wake Up. Endure. Repeat. That was our secret slogan.

Cassandra and Sam, have already blended, dressing like them and making new friends - nerds, but otherwise, cool. More often than not, they ditch us and join them in the front. Neither I am complaining, nor does our table lack in female presence.

One day, Matt catches me frowning at the obnoxious clique, where Nerissa usually spends her time with. They all look like a bunch of stuck-ups to me, some stiffer than others. What is really pissing me off, now more than ever, is seeing her wearing Blondie's uniform jacket. She looks so carefree, laughing and chatting nonstop. The ginger sitting close to them, joins their conversation, luring her into a subject close to her heart. Her lips move fast, yet I manage to pick up a few medical terms. Clearly, she's in her element, her eyes radiant and focused on him. Then, Blondie intervenes, only to make them laugh at his expense, giving Nerissa a fraction of a second to cast her eyes around. Her face falls instantly, as she meets my gaze, her cheery mood fading away.

'Roone, why are you death staring my mission?' Matt asks, with an intriguing smile on his face.

Startled, I jerk my head up to him, pulling a muscle. What the hell? Mixed thoughts are messing with my brain, making me dizzy.

'Which one?' I ask impatiently, rubbing my neck and flinching at the sharp pain. I have a feeling I won't like his reply.

'The blonde dude. The one sitting next to that chick, with weird eyes. They are always together.' He blurts, nodding towards them. Then, he goes on with his noisily slurping of the last soda drops.

I am slack-jawed, unable to believe my ears. My mission has officially turned from complicated to dangerously complex. As a team, we have one objective: to oversee the experiment and make sure it reaches its final stage.

Our task force is one of a kind, made up of best of the best, perfectly capable to operate parallel, individual commissions. The 'errands', as we like to call them, involve protecting some important teens, until they turn eighteen, and take part in the final Selection. For the sake of their safety, we decided to keep their identities a secret, but finding out that my target is so close to Matts', makes both our jobs more difficult.

'Don't tell me the chick is yours. Man, why does it have to be this way?' He whinges, after reading my face and figuring it all out.

My thoughts exactly. That's what others call it a conflict of interest.

'Let's not go there. We'll figure something out.' I lie, knowing too well that, if it comes to choose between them, I'll have to pick her. Work comes first, always.

Then, he says something I haven't thought of myself. He leans closer, speaking in a hushed tone.

'Roone, listen to me.' He starts his appeal, the spark in his eyes giving away his excitement.