Chapter 21 ❀ Making Up & Making Out

"Actually, I should be headin' back..."

"Don't be like that. I can't just let you leave like that. Think of it as a thank you for cutting my hair." For once, the caramel-skinned young man was proud of himself for not sounding as desperate as the last two times he had encouraged Piers to spend more time with him. It was quite effective on the person in question as well, because the spiky-head didn't see why he would need to refuse such an act of gratitude. He didn't want to be rude, and once he and Raihan got rid of the temporary awkwardness between them, talking to him was actually... fun.

"Coffee, please. Black — like my soul." For a second, Piers had forgotten that his statement was usually an insider-joke between himself and Marnie, and that it usually got interpreted as extremely gloomy by other people. Just when he had realized what he had instinctively blurted out and when he was about to correct himself, Raihan laughed, walking into the connected kitchen while retorting with a joke. "When did you get so emo? And here I thought the eyeshadow was just for show."

Not too much later, the ravenet returned to the couch where Piers had taken a seat, placing the two mugs on the coffee table and sitting down next to him. The spiky-haired male uttered a small 'thanks' before getting told to wait a little since both of their drinks were still very hot. The silence that reigned afterwards seemed like the perfect opportunity for Raihan to bring up something that still haunted him. The moment he had been waiting for for so long — the moment of truth.

"Listen, Piers. Six years ago, that night when we did what we did at Hotel Ionia—" Raihan began, fiddling with his fingers somewhat nervously only to drive the other to tense up at those words. The spiky-head knew what was coming, and he had been a fool to think that Raihan didn't hold a grudge because of that event. "I should've known it was about that. I'm leavin'."

"No! Piers, wait!" The dark-type Gym Leader had already risen to his feet when Raihan called out his name, and was just about to stomp out of his apartment if it weren't for the latter grabbing his wrist firmly. No matter how hard the slim male tried to shake the other off, he knew how inferior he was to him in concerns of physical strength. "Let go of me."

As if to spite him and his demand, Raihan pulled the shorter young man to himself a bit too hard, to the point that he lost his balance and fell on the couch. Piers was taken aback momentarily, but he was just as swift to try and get up, albeit to no avail. The ravenet took a hold of his shoulders firmly and pressed him deeper into the cushions, drawing a gasp from his throat.

"Are you goin' to force yourself onto me again, just because you're gettin' mad all on your own?" Piers finally managed to get those words to roll off his lips, even if they sounded a bit too harsh. Raihan didn't dare to move a muscle after that — Piers had hit the bullseye entirely. What he said reminded the taller male so much of that time when he had touched him all over in Ballonlea Stadium — and he had never truly forgiven himself for that.

"Just... please, hear me out." His plea came across despite his guiltily gritted teeth, and Piers felt his heartstrings getting tugged at. He was fully aware that it wasn't just the ravenet who had been at fault back then, and it would have been evil to not give him a chance at explaining himself. The spiky-head was no longer a kid, after all — he had matured since then.

"I've always had the feeling that you misunderstood me back then, and I've always regretted not clearing things up. I still do." Taking Piers' silence as an OK to hear him out, Raihan began. "Do you think we're doing something wrong — Do you remember when I asked you that?"

"How couldn't I?" The pale young man spat out, furrowing his brows instantly and feeling something prick the corners of his eyes. He felt stupid for agreeing to listen to the taller male, because he knew he was going to hear hurtful things all over again. He would have his heart trampled all over another time. "I don't know what you assumed when I told you that, but all I meant to ask was if you were all right with having me as a lover — with having a guy as your lover."