Chapter 9 ❀ To His Heart Through His Stomach

Route 8 was a nice place to train against stronger Pokémon as preparation for the two boys' matches in Circhester, and it was also the place where Raihan had caught a lost Silicobra just because he thought it looked cute. Creatures like it, Hippowdon and Bronzong were also great opponents to let Raihan get a taste of the weather-based strategies he was planning to integrate in his own battling style.

After all the fighting, both Trainers' teams had grown tired — especially Piers' since most of his Pokémon were at a type disadvantage when their adversaries were beings such as Gurdurr and Falinks. Soon it wasn't just them that could feel the consequences of so many battles, but the tall male as well, and the loud grumbling of his stomach made sure to make it known.

"Steamdrift Way is just up ahead, so how about we set up camp over there and have something to eat? I'm starving!" The light brown-skinned boy suggested, suppressing a whine as he pointed to the little vacant spot to the right of the tunnel. They hadn't even decided on an answer and yet both of them were already making their way there, unloading everything they needed to knock up a meal. "I'm fine with takin' a break, but I'm not really hungry."

"Yeah right! You need to eat properly, you're so skinny that I can put my hands on your waist and my fingers would touch!" Raihan insisted, dropping the logs he had gathered to the ground in order to walk up to Piers and do exactly what he had just said. Of course, his fingers didn't truly intertwine behind the slim boy's back though the gesture was enough to make the latter feel a tad embarrassed. "You're exaggeratin'..."

"Besides, I don't even know how to cook." Piers admitted, watching his boyfriend fish out all Ultra Balls from his pockets and throwing them in the air, freeing his entire team. The male with two-colored hair imitated his action, letting his Pokémon go play with Raihan's. His Turtonator and Torkoal were in charge of heating the pot while Toxtricity and Scrafty provided them with mental support.

"Don't worry, I'm pretty confident in my cooking skills!" The taller boy cheered, sticking out his thumb and pointing it at himself while displaying a cocky grin. Piers knew that he had no way of talking himself out of this one — the same way he had troubles saying no to practically anything Raihan threw at him — and decided to simply go along with his wishes, telling him not to complain if the food were to get horribly burnt in case he was asked to help out.

Though not exactly by holding a huge wooden spoon, Piers was also made to give a hand. He and his Obstagoon scanned their dry surroundings for any berries. Their findings weren't something to be too proud of, though. In the end they had to depend on the supplies the two Trainers carried in their bags.

The pale boy spent most of his time observing Raihan and the way he skillfully stirred the reddish sauce, his Sliggoo aiding him occasionally. Piers' thoughts couldn't help but trail to the fact that his boyfriend was practically cooking for him, driving him to wonder how the meal would taste, knowing that Raihan was putting so much effort into it.

The shorter male had always felt special whenever Raihan cooked something for him, or even when they shared a snack at the Captain's Table even before the two had begun dating, but now that they actually were, it gave off somewhat of a different vibe. He continued surveying the scene peacefully with Malamar sitting beside him until Raihan pulled a pack of potatoes out of his kit.

"You didn't say you were going to make potatoes..." He blurted out reflexively, gaining the taller boy's attention the moment he turned around to face him. Oblivious to why Piers had decided to speak up in that precise moment, Raihan poured the potatoes into the pot, Sliggoo happily mixing everything together. "I bought them from an ingredient seller in the Wild Area some time ago, I didn't want them to go bad so I figured I'd use them. Why, is there something wrong?"