Prologue ❀ That Summer Six Years Ago

I saw Piers at the station.

Every year, an opening ceremony is held in Motostoke for the Pokémon Trainers from Galar and the ones who have travelled from all around the world. It was the formality that marked said Trainers' first step to take on the Gym Challenge, and each and every year, all Gym Leaders would come to attend it from their respective cities. All Gym Leaders but one — Piers.

Nobody truly knew why the dark-type specialist liked to miss out on such a great event. Not even the Chairman himself could retrace his motives. Some thought that the reason was because Piers lived in Spikemuth, a place generally known to be the home of thugs and the like, while others suspected it was because he couldn't bring himself to show his face due to the fact that he was the only Gym Leader who didn't use the power of Dynamax.

Some of the people who thought the latter were partially right — Piers really didn't want to show his mug, especially on an occasion where all Gym Leaders would be present. Though it wasn't all of them he didn't want to see, it was merely one person he was avoiding and had been for many years now — Raihan. The man himself knew that, too.

He, Nessa, Bea and Sonia were currently making their way to the train station, just after this year's opening ceremony had come to an end. Young Trainers had dispatched all over the place, most of them hurrying to Route 3 since that was the quickest path to take to get to the first Gym. Despite Piers not having presented himself this year either, no one talked about it anymore. Everyone had already gotten used to it, even Raihan — as much as it pained him.

"Anyone in particular catch your eye?" Nessa asked the group as they got closer and closer to the platforms with every step they took. Before either the girls or Raihan could give an answer, the water-type Gym Leader quickly threw in her own comment as if she had never meant to actually get a reply out of anyone. "Did you notice that cute girl with short, brown hair?"

"I heard Challenger number 189 is Leon's younger brother, he could make a strong opponent." Bea stated with visibly less excitement than the indigo-haired female. Raihan was passively listening to the three girls' conversation, his mind entirely elsewhere. It wasn't even like he needed to do something at the train station. After all, he, like many other Gym Leaders, was going to stay the night at the Budew Drop Inn.

Sonia was the one who needed to take the train back to Wedgehurst because she apparently had some work left that was due tomorrow, and Nessa absolutely wanted to walk her here. Raihan and Bea were merely tagging along because Nessa was their best friend, and because she had begged them not to leave her hanging.

"Don't forget about tomorrow, Sonia! We're meeting up at the usual restaurant at eight." The crystal-eyed female said, watching as the orange-haired girl got ready to mount her train. What Nessa was referring to was the annual get-together Galar's Gym Leaders would hold, usually a day after the Gym Challenge was launched. Sonia being Nessa's close friend and Leon being the Champion were also invited to their little party, and had been ever since their custom had begun.

The three girls started chatting about anew, causing a sigh of slight annoyance to roll off Raihan's lips. He agreed to Nessa's requests way too easily, and for some reason always regretted doing so. In search for a clock somewhere in the station, Raihan began looking around whilst wearing a tired expression, only for it to mold into a shocked one the instant his eyes were captured — not by a clock, but by someone.

I saw Piers at the station.

Raihan couldn't believe his eyes. Standing mixed in the crowd that hurriedly scattered about was Piers, the very same person that hadn't come to today's opening ceremony nor to the ones in the few years that had passed. The way his mouth hung wide open in disbelief must have caught his friends' attention because they were questioning him soon, though they didn't care enough to follow his gaze. "Raihan? What's wrong?"