EIGHT

CHAPTER 8
FANTASIES

CHAPTER 8FANTASIES

PERHAPS it was a mistake to bring her father to the reservation to meet Stanley

PERHAPS it was a mistake to bring her father to the reservation to meet Stanley. Entertaining these ideas of his would only be feeding into it, distracting him from having a real goal. Sage thought goals were so important, which was why she had many. She wanted to be an example to own father, to push further, and that was a scary thought. A kid shouldn't have to teach their father that.

Sage watched Hugo excitedly talk with Stanley at the kitchen table in Blaire's house. She could just see him from outside her best friend's room. He was waving his hands around wildly, running his mouth at the speed of light, as Stanley chuckled. Sage had hardly ever seen Blaire's grandpa crack a smile.

Smacking her head against the pillow, she released a dissatisfied groan. Blaire was currently doing her homework, keeping her eyes trained on the textbook in front of her, and completely unaware of the ridiculous conversation occurring at the dining table. Sage looked up at her with a frown and gestured in that direction. "Doesn't this annoy you?"

Her annoyance was unwarranted, she could admit that. Sage hadn't been in a good mood since Edward ditched her at school a few days ago with no explanation. He didn't show up for Monday's chemistry class, or Tuesday, and after that, she stopped counting. She might've started worrying if this was a Riley Biers' case all over again – which she still couldn't wrap her head around – had she not noticed that half of the Cullens were still present at school. Their lunch table was missing three people: the pretty blonde, Rosalie, the chiseled boy with curly hair, Emmett, and Edward. None of the others looked concerned.

Blaire finally viewed up, pen pausing on her notebook. "What? I wasn't paying attention."

Sage blinked, bring herself back to reality. She jumped up from the bed and approached the door, pointing out at the kitchen. "We're entertaining my dad's fantasies." The door clicked shut when she knocked it with her hip.

Her brow furrowed. "Fantasies?"

"I'm just so tired of hearing his theories about vampires and werewolves and – oh, don't forget when he thought he discovered werepanthers –"