TWELVE

CHAPTER 12
THE CULLENS

CHAPTER 12THE CULLENS

EVERYONE was talking about Sage now

EVERYONE was talking about Sage now. Well, more like, everyone was talking about Sage dating Edward.

She didn't know what to do with all this new attention. It made her uncomfortable, if she was being honest. To have everyone's eyes on her in the hallway; the prying questions she was suddenly getting from Jessica Stanley and Lauren Mallory ... it was all too much. Sure, she had Edward to weather the storm, but when he wasn't there, the monsters came out to feed, looking for any piece of her to chew up. It was one of the most irritating things she had to experience.

In fact, she'd been so wrapped up in their little ruse that she'd completely forgotten about final exams coming up in a few weeks. She decided that she would start cramming during free periods and at night. But even the books couldn't distract her sometimes.

Her head was stuck in her Chemistry textbook during lunch one day. Edward had suggested they sit out on the benches by the parking lot, since the sky was mostly cloudy. He was quizzing her on different terms, but she still just wasn't getting it right. She wasn't that fond of Chemistry, so everything about it just turned her off. She got decent grades, but anything decent wouldn't be enough if she wanted to graduate with honors. It had always been one of her dreams.

As Edward asked her to define Hess's law, Sage couldn't help but be distracted by Mike Newton's annoying laughter across the lot. He stood by Tyler Crowley's blue van and ate lunch beside him, Jessica, and Bella. Sage watched him nudge Bella's arm and point in her direction as he remarked, "I guess Edward finally moved on, huh?"

Bella's expression immediately shifted, and her eyes narrowed toward Mike. She must've whispered or scoffed something at him, because Sage didn't hear it. She then grabbed her bag and stomped away from her friends.

Sage turned back around as Edward quickly tilted his head towards the textbook again. He was shaking his head and trying to hide a smile. Mike's words clearly tickled something within him, which Sage saw as Edward gaining more confidence in himself. He had seemed so down for months, and now finally his mood was changing. Sage was glad that she could help him with that. But ...