FOURTEEN

CHAPTER 14
DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER

CHAPTER 14DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER

SAGE couldn't pinpoint exactly what she was feeling, but all she could focus on was the white-hot rage coursing through her bloodstream

SAGE couldn't pinpoint exactly what she was feeling, but all she could focus on was the white-hot rage coursing through her bloodstream. For the first time in a long while, she wasn't thinking about her ruse with Edward, or her embarrassing performance in front of the Cullens. It was just pure rage.

It all started when Blaire had asked her: "Hey, did you know your dad asked my mom to be his date to that wedding you have to go to?"

Sage turned to her friend with wide eyes. They were sitting on their favorite wet log as the La Push waves crashed onto the shoreline. But the sounds of Sage's favorite place were doing nothing to help calm her down right now. She almost didn't believe what Blaire had asked. "Pardon?" She said, hoping she'd heard her friend wrong.

"Yeah," Blaire said, picking at her cuticles, "he called her, like, last night or two nights ago seeing if she had plans the weekend of your aunt's wedding. She said she'd think about it."

Sage looked at her hands. They were bunched into fists so tight that her knuckles were turning white. She was furious. It wasn't that she didn't like Jodie – she actually loved her and thought of her as a second mom – but Sage couldn't help the flood of embarrassment that her dad would try to sabotage her and Blaire's friendship with this. Besides, he hadn't dated since her mom passed. This was all too soon, too fast.

The rage followed her home. She tried to keep her focus on Blaire, but when it all became too much, she politely asked her best friend if she could drive her home. The swell was coming in anyways. Blaire could tell something was off as they drove home in silence, but she didn't say anything, allowing Sage to ruminate in her thoughts. As she pulled up to her friend's home, Sage smiled and softly said she'd call her later before running up the front steps and through the door.

Blaire wondered if she should stay there in the case that Sage came running back out in need of a friend. But she knew Sage would rather gather herself before falling into anyone's arms.

Once inside, Sage knew exactly where to find her dad. She walked down the rickety stairs to the basement, careful not to trip between the open gaps, and saw him at his desk, looking between two monitors at some sketchy online forum. Her body was practically emanating with teenaged fury. And the worst part was that she knew she was being irrational, but she didn't care. She halted at the base of the steps and attempted to unclench her jaw.