FOUR

CHAPTER 4
TWENTY QUESTIONS

CHAPTER 4TWENTY QUESTIONS

THE damage to Hugo's car wasn't as bad as Doctor Cullen made her think

THE damage to Hugo's car wasn't as bad as Doctor Cullen made her think. He had gotten into a fender bender that ruined the roof of his car. A small accident with little consequences, but would probably cost him a little bit of extra change.

As Hugo and his daughter watched an employee haul the good ol' Avalanche onto a tow truck, he muttered to himself, "There's something up with that guy."

They stood underneath the awning outside the Forks Community Hospital, safe from the pouring rain and dark clouds. Sage looked over at her dad with a perplexed expression, noticing the way his eyes were crinkling on the sides. His nose scrunched up, as if he was smelling something foul.

"What guy?" Sage asked, lifting a brow. "Doctor Cullen?"

Hugo looked at her like the answer was obvious. "A man his age can't be that pretty. Men are incapable of being that perfect."

She shrugged. "Fair point."

"Do you go to school with his kids?" Hugo pressed on. "You mentioned some Edward guy –"

Sage narrowed her eyes. "Edward Cullen is my new lab partner in Chem. But I hardly know the guy. We haven't spoken a word to each other."

"Well, maybe you should start." Hugo turned back to the tow truck and watched an employee hop back inside the driver's seat. Sage glanced in the same direction, and then back to her dad, who had a huge, fake grin plastered on his lips as he waved to the man in the truck. Through clenched teeth, he said, "There must be something up with that whole family. If he's so perfect, the others might be too."

"Dad, you cannot just harass the Cullens –"

"There's something suspicious about them, Sage. I can smell it." Their eyes connected and he tapped his long nose a few times. "Remember, hunter senses."

Sage's expression twisted. The fumes from the tow truck were definitely getting to his head.

━━━━━━