FIVE

CHAPTER 5
LOST PUPPY

CHAPTER 5LOST PUPPY

EDWARD did his best to avoid Bella at all costs, but there were always slip-ups

EDWARD did his best to avoid Bella at all costs, but there were always slip-ups. Whether it be him taking a wrong turn, or mistakenly ending up in her gym class, something – the universe, some God, he didn't know – was just trying to get them to see each other, and it was dreadfully painful. Bella always hid the awkwardness with a smile, though, which made him feel somewhat better. But if he were being honest with himself, he was just about ready to graduate so they could move and he could attend yet another high school. The cycle would always repeat itself, and he had to learn to be content on his own.

He had to tell himself that being alone wasn't so bad. All wounds heal soon enough. Edward Cullen would always be okay.

Standing in the middle of the hallway, Edward swiftly turned his head while shoving a textbook into his backpack, spotting Bella talking with Jessica Stanley and Margo Richards by her locker. It really didn't help that their lockers were just a few feet away from each other, but he learned to deal. Edward's brain suddenly went into a frenzy when he noticed that Bella was wearing a blouse Alice had bought her. Narrowing his eyes towards the group of girls, he focused in on one of their minds.

If Jessica seriously thinks she can beat me out of being valedictorian, she's got another thing coming, Margo thought, causing Edward to chuckle under his breath. It's surprising how well Bella is taking her breakup, while Edward keeps looking more like a lost puppy every single day. Sucks.

Edward slammed his locker shut, and a few heads swung his way. Promptly turning his head to the right, he spotted Emmett leaning against the locker beside his, arms held up in surrender. "Shut your locker hard enough?" He asked, crossing his arms over his muscled chest. "Boy, I'd hate to be the person you were imagining when you slammed that locker."

Edward simply rolled his eyes and brushed past him. "I don't have time for this, Emmett."

His brother walked ahead, throwing his hands up once again as he stood in front of Edward. "Hey, man, it was just a joke." He sighed and dug his hands into the front pockets of his jeans. "I know what you're going through. It's hard, but you'll be alright."