Chapter 01

Flashbacks

I remember when it was all fine. I wish I had the power to go back in time. I wish life has a reset button.

"Papa, when will father come and visit me here?" I asked while sulking on the sofa.

He was sitting on his rocking chair in front of the fireplace while reading a book.

"I don't know, hija." He simply said.

Umismid ako at humalukipkip.

I was born here in US and living with my grandparents. My mom and dad are in the Philippines. I hardly understand why I can't be with them.

Bumibisita si mommy thrice a month. My father's last visit was four years ago... on my 7th birthday.

I groaned and looked at the window. It's snowing and it's tempting me to go outside. And I'm bored as hell.

"Can I practice archery outside?" I asked.

My grandpa looked at one of my bodyguards as if they're communicating telepathically.

One of my bodyguards who I named, "Tom" shook his head.

"Her math teacher will be here in 10 minutes," He said.

Grandpa only raised an eyebrow at me and continue what he's doing.

I groaned to express my frustration. Tumayo ako at padabog na pumunta sa study para hintayin ang teacher ko.

I was homeschooled and I never get to attend a real school. I never get to play with other kids.
I never get to have friends or best friends.

For the past 12 years, my life was inside this huge mansion and the huge garden outside.

"Happy 13th Birthday!" Si mommy nang sagutin ko ang tawag niya.

"Thanks," I lazily said. Umahon ako sa pagkakahiga at sumandal sa head board ng aking kama.

"Anak, I want to see you,"

Tinanggal ko sa aking tainga ang cellphone. I enabled the camera so we can see each other.

"Your daddy wishes you a happy birthday and he loves you," Mommy said.

I sighed and smiled to hide the pain I'm feeling. I'm sad that they were not able to come here and celebrate my birthday.

"Did you receive the presents? Did you like it?" There was a hint of excitement in her voice.

"Umm... yeah. Thanks mom," I smiled. Pero ang totoo hindi ko pa nabubuksan.

"We have another surprise for you," Malapad ang ngiti niya samantalang nanatili akong nanonood sa kanya sa screen.

"I know it's very sudden," She paused a bit. "Your father and I booked you a flight tomorrow night. You will be home with us, finally," She said with tears in her eyes.

I was taken aback. Natulala ako sa screen. I didn't know how and what to respond.

"And you'll be attending a prestigious university!" She exclaimed with so much joy and excitement.

It felt like I was imprisoned for a very long time and now my time has come to see the world.

"Hija? Do you like it?" Mommy asked because I didn't show a reaction.

"Y-Yes mommy! Ofcourse I-I like it!" I said and smiled.

Mommy gave me the details of my flight. Marami siyang sinasabi tumatango na lamang ako bilang tugon. Kaunting pangangamusta ng mga tito ko ay binaba na niya ang tawag.