the talk revisited

Start from the beginning

She bit her lip. Bill knew something bad was coming.

"And, I have to admit that there were a few men. Single, successful men.

They did show an interest in me and I am sure if I had given in, they would have taken advantage of me, but ...

I didn't give in.

And you know why?"

"Because of your promise to stay a virgin until you get married?"

Matty laughed slightly.

"Partly that but more importantly because I knew when I did give in to any man, there was only one man that I wanted to give in to."

"Who?"

Matty shook her head and rolled her eyes.

"Freddy fucking Simpson. Who else?"

Suddenly Bill felt hopeful again. The sinking feeling in his stomach was going away.

"Actually," Matty's face grew serious, "his name is Juan Carlos Santana. He is a VP for Apple Canada."

The smile that had been appearing on Bill's face quickly disappeared.

Matty started laughing.

"You really are too fucking easy."

Bill sipped his drink nervously.

"I am sorry if I cause you any undo pain or anxiety the last few days, but I really needed this time to myself. I even let Tanya go to a couple meetings so I could stay at the hotel. I spent most of my time sitting on the balcony of my room, staring out across the city.

I had to get my shit together before I came back home."

She leaned forward and kissed Bill quickly on the lips.

"You are the most frustrating man I have ever met."

Bill could feel the sinking feeling returning quickly.

"Your complete lack of confidence in yourself is not exactly a redeeming quality. I never know what to expect from you or what mood you are going to be in. And that is hard to live with, Bill."

Bill was beginning to feel like he was drowning.

"I need a strong man. I need a man who is always going to be there when I need him. A man who can pick me up when I am down, not jump in his truck and threaten to leave or hide in the bathroom when things get heated."

Bill simply nodded. He couldn't speak because he knew the manly tears would return.

"But I also need a man who is kind and gentle and understanding. A man who looks at me like I am the only woman on the face of the earth. A man that, when I look at him, I see my future. I see us married and having kids and growing old together, here, in Tuckamore Bay.

I need a man for ever, not for a while."

Matty put her hand on Bill's cheek.

"Do you know what I am saying?"