39.

JADA POV

"By the way you look beautiful" Chris said. Smiling at his remark "thank you". He held out his hand for me to take into mine "come on my mom is waiting". We walked to the front door that immediately opened. The same woman who I saw at my job was standing there "oh my gosh! Come in!".

Walking inside I saw balloons and decorations. But there wasn't many people here. I saw an old lady sitting in a wheel chair along with three other older women. Chris walked me to the living room where everyone was. "Ladies, this is Jada" he said.

The women smiled.

I smiled and waved "hey".

His mom came over "we are so happy you came. You know I wasn't sure if you had a baby shower yet".

"Oh my dad had one for me months ago. My family would be traveling..." I said.

"Really? Wonderful. Come and take a seat. If you need anything you can ask Chris or myself" she smiled.

One of the older women just stared at me. It's like she wanted to ask me something but was choosing if she should or not. This was very strange to me. It was quiet. No music or chatter.

Chris came to me "are you okay?".

"Yeah I'm fine" I smiled. He stood there and looked at the older women "aunt patty why do you look so upset? This is a joyous moment".

She sneered "because she's not brooke".

Wow! She clearly said that.

"Nope this is Jada. Maybe if you meet her properly you'll like her" he said. Aunt patty wasn't having that at all. She got up and left the room. Chris looked at me "don't pay her any mind. She's really old school".

I nodded "noted".

This has to be the most uncomfortable I've been in a long time. Feeling so out of place and not because of my skin. Sitting the same seat for the entire thing. His mom was in and out making sure everything was in place.

Chris handed me a plate of food "here you go".

Looking at the bland plate "thanks". His mom had made all finger foods. Picking at what was on this plate just so I didn't offend his mom.

When I say this was going by so fast. Time to open presents which wasn't much. But it was cute that I got clothes. His mother came out "saving them best present for last". She had Chris bring this long box in wrapping paper out.

"This is from me" she said.

Opening it I saw it was a crib "oh thank you!".

"Hopefully you didn't get one already" she said.

"No I haven't. Thank you!" I smiled.

Chris explained he would come and get the crib another day. Only because that bug box wasn't going to fit in his car. Our time was up. As we were leaving his mom hugged me "I can't wait for my granddaughter to arrive!".

"We both can't wait" I joked.

                                             •

The following day I went to see my dad. Haven't seen him in weeks. Just to make sure he's okay and I know he's been worrying about me as well. The last time I saw him was at my shower.

Walking into the kitchen but I stopped...

"You still haven't told Jada the truth about her mother?" A relative asked.

"I'm not sure she's ready. Plus she's pregnant. That's the last thing she's needs to be worried about" he said.

"You should tell her. It's not fair to keep something like this from her. She has a right to know. Instead of lying to her about where her mom went" the confusion was real. Clearing my throat I walked in "hey dad". They both looked surprised "hey Jada!".

"Now what was that you were both talking about? And let's not play dumb either" I warned.

My dad looked so nervous "Umm just about your mother. That's all!".

"What about her? She left" I said.

The relative sighed "tell her!".

"Tell me what?" I asked.

"You need to sit down. This may be hard for you to understand" he said. Doing what he said... I waited "so?".

He sighed "your mom didn't leave. She killer herself".

Raising my brow "yeah right! No she didn't. I got a postcard from her".

My dad just looked at me "I sent that to you to keep up the lie".

"Look if you both want to play with me... I get it" I said.

"Jada your mother killed herself. And you witnessed it. That's why he made up that lie that she left. Apparently you forgot about it" the relative said.

Turning to my dad "huh? What do you mean I saw her kill herself?".

"All I know you were looking for her. When you found her she had just hung herself. You stood there just confused and watching not understanding. I pulled in and saw what had happened and immediately took you out of the room. I'm not sure because it was such a traumatic event that your brain made you forget about that. But I'm happy you did" he said.

My head was starting to hurt from all of this "why did she kill herself?".

"She found out your dad was cheating on her. She couldn't handle losing him or her family unit. Depression got the best of her and she couldn't handle it" the relative said.

Looking at my dad "you cheated on mom?! How could you?".

"Jada you wouldn't understand. But it was a long time ago. As adults we make mistakes. Just that my mistake destroyed people" he said. Getting up I just walked out the house. I needed fresh air. Feeling somewhat light headed... holding onto the railing before I felt my legs go weak. My body had to shut down... it was too much to handle. The trigger was set.

All I remember was how sunny it was before I passed out.