He was actually surprised that Matty had shown any interest in him at all.

"I didn't expect you until tomorrow. Or the next day or ..."

"Please Bill."

She patted the couch.

"Come and sit. We really need to talk."

Bill sat silently and poured himself a drink.

"Look. I'm not gonna beat around the bush here. I have been thinking about this for a few days now and its been driving me crazy, so I need to get this off my chest."

"I thought something was bothering you," Bill said gently. "I could hear it in your voice the last couple times we talked and well, the last few days, there has been nothing."

Matty nodded.

"I know. I'm sorry. I just needed some time alone to think. I know I know I have been distant to you, but it was a combination of tiredness and stress and this whole Bay thing."

"That's okay. I understand."

Matty finished her drink, poured another and lit a cigarette.

"The last couple weeks or so has been an eye opener for me Bill. All this travel and meeting new people, has suddenly given me an outlook on the world I had never had before.

Being raised here in the Bay and never really going anywhere, outside of St. John's, really doesn't prepare you for what is out there.

For the first time in my life, I felt like I could let my wings free and fly."

Bill could feel my heart sinking, even further. 

One of his biggest fears, concerning Matty doing all the legal for the Bay and travelling all over the country, was her meeting someone new.

Here, in the Bay, he felt safe, as she knew everyone here and he was kind of something special, but if his past had proven anything to him, it was that he certainly wasn't anyting special.

Even after winning all that money, he was still Bill Williams, nobody.

"Bill? Are you listening?"

Bill took a sip of his drink and sat back on the couch. He took a deep breath, to force back the tears that he knew would start falling at any second.

"Yea. I'm listening Matty and believe me, I understand."

"You do?"

He nodded and sat forward again. He just couldn't get comfortable.

"It was one of my fears having you travel all over the country."

"Fears?"

"Matty? You are a beautiful woman and there are so many men out there that are so much more than I could ever be. It only makes sense that one of them would eventually turn your head."