Lindsay & Carl Pike

"And the same goes for the rest of you men and women that have to leave the Bay to work. Its been a long time since you were able to get up in the morning and walk to work right here in the Bay."

There was a chorus of agreements from nearly everyone in the audience.

"We all stay in Tuckamore Bay because we were born here and we love it here, but we also stay because our past is alive here.

It is something that we don't talk about, but almost every man, woman and child is affected by our past. And you all know what I am talking about."

Matty looked at Henry and smiled.

"Henry won't even walk into Bill's house because he is afraid that Nanny Dove will give him shit. Just like she has been for the last forty years."

There was laughter from the people gathered. They really did know what Matty was talking about and Bill could see no fear or confusion on their faces.

Living with spirits was as normal to them as riding the subway was to people in big cities.

"We have to save Tuckamore Bay," Matty concluded.

"We just have to."

Ryan Pike stood up again.

"Dats all be fine and dandy Matty, but wes 'ave families. Wes 'as to work and wes jest don't 'ave da time or energy, when wes comes 'ome to give to da Bay. We all loves da Bay as much as you, but we 'ave to live."

There was a chorus of agreements.

Matty nodded her agreement.

"Well let me ask you this Ryan, what if you did have the time and energy? What if you could stay here in the Bay, help save the Bay and not have to worry about money?"

Ryan laughed.

"Youse be dreamin', Matty. Its bes a beautiful dream, but dats all its bes. A dream."

Matty was shaking her head.

"No Ryan and no Carl and no Ken or Jr. or Wike or any of the rest of you. It is no dream.

And all you women out there. What would you be willing to do, if your men could stay home and work in the Bay."

Jojo Johnston stood up.

"Matty if youse could keep my man home, Ise would do anything youse asked of me. And Ise means anything. The kids miss him so much when 'e be gone. To have him home wud be a blessing."

She looked around.

"And Ise knows that all of the womens here will agree."

Many of the women in the crowd stood in agreement, as Jojo expected.

Jenny Pike stood and started laughing.

"Youse wants to keep da men 'ome and Ise been tryin' to git rid of dis one fer years."

The crowd erupted with laughter.