07 | How I wish I could simply evaporate right now

Even though we never said it to each other, we knew

- unknown

Mackenzie Thompson

"Aunt Debbie asked you to take care of her, not me!" I argue with Ethan.

Honestly, I don't even know how he got me in this situation again for the third time this month. Nevertheless, I do know for a fact that I'm only seconds away from killing him.

Our aunt has been struggling to take care of her twelve year old daughter, Julia, and get to work on time. This lead to our mom volunteering, not her, but Ethan and I to babysit her. Neither of really minded it at first, because we wanted to help our aunt, but we've had to cancel and reschedule our own plans more times than necessary to do so.

In this exact moment, Ethan is supposed to take care of Julia for the day, but backed out on short notice. Tonight, he apparently has to go to football practice, now that the season is starting up again. I let him slide last time because he double booked himself, as usual, but he can't get away with it every time, especially when it conflicts with my plans.

"Just take her to the mall or something. Weren't you planning on going anyways with your friends?" he responds, grabbing his sports bag and opening the front door.

Keyword: Friends, not little cousin.

Don't get me wrong, I love Julia but there are times where she can be a pain in the ass. She can even annoy me just as much as Ethan, and that's really saying something.

"Also, Aunt Debbie should be dropping Julia off in fifteen minutes. Got to go, but I'll see you later!"

I watch as he slams the door shut and one of his football friends pick him up.

Knowing that there's no way to fix this, I decide to get changed out of my pajamas. I scurry around my room and within seconds I have the perfect outfit in hand: a white crop top, my checkered shorts, gold pendants, and watch.

 I scurry around my room and within seconds I have the perfect outfit in hand: a white crop top, my checkered shorts, gold pendants, and watch

After getting ready in only ten minutes, I hear the doorbell ring. I open the door and am shockingly met with Grace, who has a known record for being fashionably late as she calls it.

"When we go to the mall, we have to stop at Ulta. I'm breaking out and I have a date in a few days," is the first thing I hear her say as she walks in, pointing to a barely noticeable pimple.

It doesn't take long for Jo, Aunt Debbie, and Julia to arrive soon after.

"So sorry again, Mackenzie, but I promise I'm going to hire a babysitter," Aunt Debbie apologizes before handing over Julia to me.