11 | I think I seized the wrong fucking day

"There was
Forever
In those
Eyes"

- d.j

Mackenzie Thompson

I don't know how he knows, but I've always wanted to go to New York. Even though we live in Pennsylvania, a short drive away, I've never actually made the trip down here before. It's been on my bucket list ever since I watched Home Alone as a kid, and the view, and variety of things to do, has always peaked my interest.

"Do you not like it?" he asks worriedly as he sees my eyes glued to the city. I turn to him, the smile on my face so big I probably look like the Grinch.

"No, it's perfect," I say truthfully as the buildings get closer and closer.

He smiles and finds a parking garage nearby. We park the car and he slips his hand into mine as we walk around.

"Where to first?" he asks me, the surrounding buildings illuminating our way. I spot a Central Park sign and immediately get excited.

"I mean, we can't come to New York and not go to Central Park..." I trail off with a laugh. He smiles.

"Central Park it is, then."

We enter the park, the only quiet spot at night in the city that never sleeps. After wandering for a while, Aaron helps me climb a large rock near the ice skating rink, laying down his jacket on top. He motions for me to lie down, which I do, and he sits next to me.

We stay there for a while, the rock elevated just enough for us to see over the tops of the trees. He points out a few constellations in the sky, using my hand to trace them.

After his surprising knowledge of the stars run out, I stare around in awe at the buildings, each a different shape and color. My head is resting on his chest, and he plays with my hair, twisting it, but making sure he doesn't knot it. When I finally tear my eyes away from the scene in front of me and look up at him, I catch him staring at me with a look I've never seen from him before. He blushes and looks away, another thing Aaron Everett rarely does.

"You hungry?" he asks, grabbing my hand and carefully leading me down the rock. I nod my head in response, and he links his fingers through mine yet again, the heat from his hand warming me up.

We aimlessly walk around, trying to find somewhere that appeals to us both. However, I don't mind the long walk. In fact, I actually like getting to see everything. Eventually, we settle on a cute, little, open twenty-four/seven bakery with a few seats outdoors, and Aaron, the gentleman he is, pulls out my chair for me.

A sweet older woman comes by to take our order, and I go with a chocolate croissant and a hot chocolate, while Aaron goes for black coffee.

About five minutes after, the homely waitress who took our order comes back and sets everything down on the table.

"You guys are such a cute couple," she says sweetly, placing sugar and cream down on the pink floral patterned table cloth. Neither of us deny it, and when we ask for the bill, she says it's on the house.

We thank her profusely and stroll around the city, checking out the nightlife and various cinemas, clubs, and theatres.

"What do you want to do?" he asks me, coming to a stop.