15 [Losing Every Petal]

Lan Xichen woke up with a start. His cheeks and lashes were strangely damp but his mind was too muddled to make out his appearance. He left the bed in a daze to perform his daily routine, his movements as swift and neat but lacking the usual lightness. It seemed as though he was carrying a weight with him.

He dressed and fixed his hair before making his way into the dining room. On his way, he unintentionally looked out the window. He subconsciously paused and just stood there. A small thug in his heart woke him up from his daze. Then he retracted his gaze in confusion before resuming his steps but the melancholy was still there, an emptiness he couldn't explain, a loneliness he couldn't pinpoint.

What was wrong with him?

Five days ago had been hazy but Lan Xichen didn't exactly have a good experience. When the Nie Kingdom hosted a banquet, he had been tricked into drinking wine and it wasn't even the moderate amount. He'd been given a bowl and it had to be two cups if he can remember. He passed out, of course, and the following days left him ill and nauseous. The hangover dragged on for three days and it wasn't a very pleasant feeling. Yesterday had been better but Lan Qiren insisted that he rest his mind for a while because apparently, he went out the room looking sluggish and pale despite the recovery. Fortunately, he had a good rest or that's what he likes to believe. After all, he still can't hide the hollow feeling that he'd been ignoring.

Breakfast was as bland as usual but it was heavier without Lan Wangji and the two young masters, Lan Jingyi and Lan Sizhui around. Lan Qiren being here wasn't any better. His solemn attitude had nothing of Lan Wangji's indifferent but open countenance, or Lan Sizhui's less severe seriousness, or Lan Jingyi's loudness. As a result, it became a quiet morning.

Lan Qiren only ever spoke after eating. "You've woken up a little later than usual."

Still somewhat absentminded, Lan Xichen merely apologized. His uncle swept a silent glance at him but he was hardly paying attention to notice. His eyes had already been clouded, and his mind was too preoccupied. Lan Qiren placed his cup down and straightened up with a sigh.

"Seems like you've forgotten about the alliance."

The king finally snapped out of his daze. He really has forgotten and he wouldn't have remembered if Lan Qiren didn't open the topic.

"Doesn't matter now," Lan Qiren sighed, "I was planning to send them a letter to move the date but they've already sent one. Apparently, it's a busy week. They didn't set a date so I'm assuming it's still up to you to reschedule things."

"I understand," Lan Xichen respectfully replied but the restlessness in his heart grew. He knew he had to cut breakfast short, like he always did before. He stood up and politely excused himself. His uncle was already used to it and could only nod at him.

He walked to the hallways and stopped by a window. He looked outside, training his eyes on a glowing figure below. His half-breeded stallion is sniffing about on the ground, looking quite comical that Lan Xichen thought of naming something of the likes but knowing how picky that horse was, he can only watch on.

With a sigh, he left the window and made his way to his study. He tried drowning himself in paperworks but even the large amount of scrolls didn't settle his mind. He had to step out, go somewhere else. And he did just that.

He entered the main hall, sighing at the gloomy atmosphere. The castle was empty, too empty for his liking. It's as if it's mocking his restlessness because to be honest, he had no idea why he ought to feel this way. He didn't even understand why. Was it what he did yesterday? But he hadn't done anything yesterday.

"Your Majesty is going out?" A knight suddenly asked.

Lan Xichen paused then smiled at the knight. Though unfamiliar, he was the type to greet anyone and well anything that could breathe. He held no judgement and could easily make anyone feel important.