13 [The Nine-Petalled Lotus]

"Brother."

Lan Xichen's body froze. He opened his eyes, finding himself standing in the middle of a mildly bright nothingness. What startled him, however, was this strange calmness inside.

He had just heard him.

"Second Brother."

He heard him again.

"Brother Xichen."

There it was again- but this time, it sounded awfully real and very close. Lan Xichen turned his head, slowly spinning around. And perhaps it was because of his slow movements but time slowed down as he did so.

A soft and pleasant smile greeted him with a bright glow, as bright as the yellow fabric glimmering under the soft light. Peonies appeared from nowhere, scattering all around them with a random dance whenever the wind of unknown origin pass through them in an almost teasing pattern.

That smile.. that color.. that face..

It was all too familiar.

"Brother," the other person called out for the last time.

Lan Xichen paused but his heartbeat could only accelerate. This person...

"Ah-Yao.."

A set of new fresh tears rolled down his cheeks in a large volume. He hasn't cried this much. Not ever but a single appearance of the person he had once loved caused this much demise.

"It is me, Brother Xichen," Jin Guangyao replied with a small and placid smile that gad always been meant to calm anybody else. Not Lan Xichen, however.

Instead, the newly crowned king felt a harsh cut in his chest. His fist unconsciously clenched tight against the side of his clothes. He could barely control himself anymore and so he broke his own statue. Before he knew it, he has already taken himself to Jin Guangyao. Words aside for the moment, both males emotionally let themselves melt in each other's embrace.

"Ah-Yao.."

"En. Brother."

It was simply too bright everywhere, too sad yet happy at the same time. The scent of peonies danced around everywhere, drawing in a huge sense of familiarity and nostalgia towards Lan Xichen.

He missed him.

He really did.

He missed his Ah-Yao so much.

And he still does.

"I have been wishing for so long," Lan Xichen whispered in between his breatheless grief. "I have always been wishing."

His heart began crying rivers of blood and his blood began to boil in an overwhelming warmth. Was this happiness? Is this how happiness truoy felt like? It must be... yet..

Why does he still feel so cold and empty?Something is still missing...

"But Ah-Yao is finally here."

That's right. His love is back. What else could be missing?

"I missed you too," came out that silky tone he had always longed to hear. Hearing it again graced a smile on his lips. It tugged at his heart and pricked at his eyes.

He couldn't be more emotional.

"To be able to see you again... Ah-Yao, it has been so long," Lan Xichen breathed out. Even as the person in his arms tried to move, he simply couldn't bear to let go. He wasn't willing to let go in fear of losing him again. Not again. However, a sudden thought crossed his mind that had him finally losenibg his arms, abling Jin Guangyao to finally step back. "But how?" Asked Lan Xichen.