04 [Nine-Petalled Life]

The person in purple, leaning on the rock, despite having his hair tied, is glaring at him through the strands of hair left untied.

Lan Xichen is astonished and was unable to fully react for a moment. Despite how this young man looks rather important, the first thought that entered Lan Xichen was the lotus.

"What does this gentleman mean?" He asked in confusion.

The stranger crossed his arms and walked towards him. Surprisingly, his horse is still as calm and laid back, as if he can't see him at all. The horse only moved, following a rabbit that hopped out of the rock where the stranger previously leaned with its gaze.

The stranger scoffed and glared at him again, "The nine-petalled lotus. Where is it?"

For some reasons, Lan Xichen suddenly has that feeling or protectiveness over the lotus. If it really was this guy's, he suddenly feels like it wouldn't be right to hand it over. In the end he copied the man's own stern features and replied back, "For what proof can you give me to claim the lotus?"

As if the stranger realized that fact, he stepped back with a sour expression. Lan Xichen's expression softened at the reaction. He smiled and stared at the purple man as he mulled over.

"I would not be so lenient to return it back as it seems like it is a set up to blame me."

The stranger paused, speechless, but he suddenly raised his brow and directly shot Lan Xichen a small glare. "Don't think so highly of yourself. I am not framing you. I don't even know you."

Lan Xichen hummed in surprise. He studied the young man carefully before putting his guard back to its place. "Alright, my apologies," he stated in a humble manner before going on, "But I don't know why I have it either, it happened to slip in my horse's saddle."

Hearing this, the stranger looked over the horse who was quietly but distractedly standing by, sniffing a nearby set of flowers. The horse puffed a breathe, sending some fragile petals flying. Apparently, it can't chase the rabbit since its master is restraining it.

The stranger looked away then finally locked gazes with Lan Xichen. He sighed, crossing his arms tighter, "Fine then. Your name, Your Highness?"

Lan Xichen glanced at him in surprise. Just now, he said he didn't know him, but he suddenly knew he's royalty?

The person scoffed, looking at him from head to toe as if he was taller despite Lan Xichen actually being taller, "You think no one will recognize your clothes?"

He finally realized that he's really dressed too much for a normal citizen. Of course people would recognize him.

"Prince Lan Xichen of Lan Kingdom," he humbly spoke.

He glanced at the stranger's crossed arms, finding it weird that there was no handshake like how it usually is when people introduce themselves. He shook the thought off and concentrated on the stranger, only realizing that his clothes were just as refined and highclass as his own. He glanced at him with interest, "Then, are you perhaps a prince too?"

He can't quite fathom the slight familiarity he is feeling towards his purple clothes, especially the color. Then, a thought formed on his head, "Are you....."

But the young man cut him off before he can say it. With a firm tone, he spoke, "No. I'm just a citizen. These clothes, my sister is a seamstress."

Lan Xichen can accept what he said but he still holds a doubt. Though it quickly vanished soon when his horse nudged him, seemingly deciding to turn his attention on Lan Xichen. He glanced at it and gave it a small pat, but the horse remained staring at him strangely, eyes holding a sense of mirth and judgement.