14 [The Wish of the Lotus]

"The lotus isn't something to be taken lightly. It's a powerful weapon, one that could heal any sickness, grant any desire, create peace but it could also destroy for the desire of man is either pure or sinful."

"So I can get anything I want, is that it father?"

"In simpler words, yes, but everything must come with responsibility, and with a cause. Desiring something doesn't always end good. The greed of human nature is a monster lurking in the shadows, unpredictable and  dangerous. That is why, Ah-Cheng, you have to be a wise person when there is power in your hands."

"Father, I heard that nothing comes free, is this true?"

"It is true, in some ways, however, the cost aren't always something material. It could be a change in you, a transition from white to black for example."

"Then there must be a cost for the lotus!"

"Indeed, but the lotus only ever asks for repayment when used for evil-"

"Stop sugar coating the truth for your son," a crisp voice interjected from behind, interrupting the conversation between father and son. While the child beamed at the sight of his mother, the husband, on the other hand, only smiled wryly. "That won't completely save them from making mistakes. Ah-Cheng, it's already too dark. Go sleep."

The woman, clad in an elegant robe befitting that of a royalty, raised a hand as though holding so much power in her hands. The young boy after seeing the action giggled before cheerfully jumping from his father's lap.

"Well, I'm off to bed now father. I look forward to your story tomorrow! You promised to tell me about my favorite tale-"

"You're always tales and stories and legends! What do you even get from listening to those useless words? You have tutoring tomorrow, you better concentrate on that," she paused to take a sharp breathe before directing her husband a fierce look. "Anyways, nothing in this world comes free. And wether you live like a saint or not doesn't determine how the world and the people will treat you. The kindest are those who suffer the harshest. Injustice doesn't choose its person. Isn't this the real truth?" She spoke ever so bitterly as though she'd been living as harshly as she's living her luxury.

"You, shouldn't you know better? You're too kind! You're spoiling the children so much that they might as well just bring the kingdom down with them."

The man sported a rare frown before sighing to himself. "My Queen.." Yet he didn't even know what to say next. Against his wife, he can never get the upper hand.

Sensing the tension, the child ran in between them before sweetly smiling up to his mother. "Mother, let's go sleep!"

"Hmph."

And wasn't his mother right? For whoever who has done good suffers even more so than a slaughtered animal?

"You have touched a human."

Yes..

"You're hurting."

No..

"You're lonely."

No.

"You are."

Jiang Cheng raised his head to focus an empty gaze at a wilting lotus. He watched, with thinly pressed lips, as the eighth petal that had fallen gradually lost its glow before turning into a dull and dry petal on the ground. "I am," Jiang Cheng confirmed in a barely audible whisper that he himself wasn't aware that he had voiced it out.