05 [Eight-Petalled Surprise]

The next day, Lan Xichen had a little panic when a petal fell off the lotus. He knew it must have been the effect of yesterday's incident but he can't really blame the young men nor the maid who almost discarded it.

All he could do was place the fallen petal in between a book to preserve it well.

After doing such thing, he went out to meet Lan Qiren in their garden. Their garden is nothing special, not as special as what he had seen back....

It was just a sea of white and red roses with a few occassional blacks and pinks. It's quite bland if asked, but then again, no matter how elegant the Lan Kingdom is, their taste in designing is certainly not that much. Only their clothings are fine, the other things, just pure bland. If it weren't for the fact that their theme color white and light blue made everything elegant, they could have been regarded as a morgue/mauseleum/museum of ancient antiques instead.

"Xichen, do you have any plans now?"

Lan Xichen sighed and looked away. He almost forgot that he was given a few days to settle out the matter about the Jiang Kingdom's barrier.

"I do not understand, uncle. What was so scary about the barrier disappearing?"

He didn't know why he said that as if he's sure that nothing is inside aside from heaven. Perhaps it was because he had an ephemerally surreal taste of it. Until now, he can't explain what happened that night. He can only resort it to his occassional hallucinations.

Lan Qiren gave him a stern gaze, "Xichen, I understand your pains, but one must really separate inner conflicts to that of one's responsibilities. I know you know why such small matter should be bothered with, but you are just not looking deeper."

Lan Xichen closed his eyes, knowing by heart that his uncle is right. Ever since his lover died, he became less and less perceptive. He became more and more useless, more and more weak.

"I assume you don't even recall the history behind the Jiang Kingdom?"

If this was him before, he would be able to think smarter, just like Jin Guangyao. Too bad, on Jin Guangyao's death, he himself fell ill out of his depression and has forgotten a lot of things. It was either he forgot them, or he just refuses to remember them anymore, deeming them useless.

Truly, he became such a useless man, already on his lowest state. Lan Xichen can't help but feel sorry and pity for himself, but he just can't bring to get himself out of this misery.

The pain of losing his lover was too much for him.

All he wanted to do now was think about Jin Guangyao and the time they spent together, to somehow ease the hollow feeling in his chest. He is that foolish now, just as foolish as his second brother who left to chase after an almost impossible dream.

Lan Qiren sighed, seeing his nephew in a miserable state. "Let's talk again next time. Anyway, you are given until the barrier worsens. Surely, they can understand just how foolishly they are worrying right now."

His voice gradually turned down as he walked away, leaving Lan Xichen pondering to himself.

"Hard time I see?"

Lan Xichen turned around, surprised to see Jiang Cheng walking out of a pillar.

Jiang Cheng uncrossed his arms, an action he seemed to liked doing, and approached the seemingly overly calm man. Although he didn't like talking that much, he has to as this handsome elegant prince has no regards for what he wants.

"Sire Jiang, might I ask how you got in?"

Jiang Cheng blinked, a little offguard from that question. Afterwards, he waved his hand, "I'm just professionally sneaky."