08 [Five-Petalled Return]

Another ordinary day did not exactly turn out ordinary when Lan Xichen walked in on Lan Qiren who looked extremely distressed.

He accidentally heard that his uncle, despite acting indifferent about it, actually sent out some men to find his brother.

Lan Xichen looked away from the door and silently, like the wind, left the castle.

He looked up, a sigh escaping his lips. He too actually wanted to find his brother, but he promised him..

"Brother, don't find me. I will come back."

"Alright. Return to us, Wangji."

"I will."

He promised to not look for him. Even as a devoted older brother, he can't defy his promise. Yet his uncle is actually suffering right now. He does wish for his brother to return as well and the longer he waited, the longer he is worried.

Suddenly, he found this situation a little difficult.

He stopped thinking when a carriage stopped in front of him. Sending the guards and the couchman a grateful smile, he entered the carriage.

Today, he's deemed to pay his regards to a family who's father just died. The father had once been working in the castle and had retired. It was a waste as he was regretfully hardworking there for, it was just right to visit his funeral.

Lan Xichen volunteered himself to be here rather than his uncle because it would be troublesome for Lan Qiren.

The carriage began moving in a constant pace but when they reached the streets of the village, the carriage stopped due to an unusual traffic.

Lan Xichen looked out the little window and observed the area they are in. They stopped infront of a row of white and blue houses. It seemed like they're still a little far.

During the process of observing, he was surprised when the door opened. He immediately looked to know who it was but was taken a back when a familiar man in purple robes invited himself and sat across him.

Lan Xichen's brows furrowed a little in confusion, "Sire Jiang?"

Jiang Cheng crossed his arms and legs, leaning back the seat. He glanced at Lan Xichen and out the small window, mumbling, "Apologies."

Lan Xichen smiled, "No, no. It's alright."

Jiang Cheng didn't look away from the window. He kept his silence and kept his eyes trailed as the carriage began moving again. Suddenly, he turned his head to face Lan Xichen.

"What is it?"

Lan Xichen breathed in softly. It was his turn to look out the window. He suddenly feels guilty for asking but.. he has to. Then a thought struck him. In the end, his hesitation dimmed down and he resolutely shook his head.

"No need to mind it anymore. It is simply asking for the impossible. I know it would be too much. It would be better if he comes back on his own."

He feels that making this one wish is not possible. Jiang Cheng did say that the things he has to ask for should be simplen, reachable. Lan Xichen eventually helplessly sighed inwardly. Jiang Cheng didn't say anything else about it and instead asked for another thing.

"Where is Prince Lan going?"

Lan Xichen flashed him a small sad smile, "A family has just lost a father."

With that simple sentence, Jiang Cheng nodded and kept quiet.

Lan Xichen immeidiately remembered something. He snapped his gaze over Jiang Cheng with a hint of worry.
"About the lotus, Sire Jiang, I'm afraid I might not be taking care of it properly."