But me and Wike figured dat da least we could do was make a new gate."

Bill walked toward it.

"It is beautiful."

He reached my hand up.

"Don't be touching' dat," Wike yelled.

"I'm sorry."

Wike put his hand on Bill's shoulder.

"No me son. It be okay to touch, its jest dat wes been weldin' it and it bes pretty hot. Youse would be burnin' yer hand pretty bad."

Bill stepped back a few steps.

"Well thank you."

He continued to admire the work, despite the fact he could have burned his hand.

"This is really good. You can hardly see the welds. Its beautiful."

"Youse knows weldin'?"

"Not really. I was going to take a welding course once but, well, shit happened and I never got the chance. One of the guys I used to work with became a  welder and he would show me his work, but this is far better than anything he ever did."

Clayton spoke up.

"Jr. and Wike works fer da fish plant in St. Anthony. Dey fixes da machinery and works on da boats. Deys can also machine pretty much anyting youse can imagine."

"So what happens once you finish? Do you paint it?" Bill wondered.

Wike put his welding gloves on a small table and drank some water.

"Well, da ting dat shud be done is to 'ave it powder coated. But da only place to do dat is in Corner Brook. But it be expensive and wes be doin' dis ting from scrap metal and such.

So when it be done, wes will put some metal paint on it. It last fer a couple years."

Bill shook his head.

"No."

"No?"

Wike looked at Bill.

"Youse means wes can't do dis 'ere anymore?"

Bill continued to shake his head.

"No. I mean yes."

Bill half laughed, as he was sure he was confusing the others.

"Bill me son, youse not be making' any sense," Jr. laughed.

"What I mean is that you are more than welcome to weld here, but I want you to take this to Corner Brook and have it properly powder coated."

"Dat cost money Bill. Me and Jr. don't mind springin' fer a few welding sticks and such, but it takes time and money to go to da city and git dis done. Wese mite 'ave da time, but wes don't 'ave da money."