Chapter 45: Dewey's Campaign

Start from the beginning

Your POV

The next day, me and Steven went to break the news with Sadie.

Sadie: What?! *grabbing Steven by his shirt* And Lars is still in space?!

Steven: Yeah, he is, but don't worry. He's with some very nice Gems who are on the run from their Homeworld overlords.

Sadie: Oh, Laaaars...

Y/N: Sadie, he's fine. We can go see him anytime through Lion.

Sadie: *tearing up* Glad he's not- At least he's some kind of... alive? You... told his parents, right...?

Y/N: You're kind of his practice run for that.

Steven and Sadie exit the Big Donut.

Sadie: *sighs* Let's do this quick. I can't be away from work too long. I'm basically their only employee now.

As they begin walking on the boardwalk, Steven and Sadie encounter a protest crowd in front of Fish Stew Pizza.

Steven: Whoa, what's going on?

Male Citizen : We're sick of it!

Me, Steven and Sadie push their way through the crowd and witness the lead advocate, who turns out to be Nanefua Pizza, standing on a soapbox and speaking through a megaphone.

Nanefua: Am I right about it?! Aliens nearly abducted the whole town. And what did Mayor "Billiam" Dewey do about it?

A Beach City citizen scratches his head and shrugs.

Nanefua" That is right! Jack, and squat!

The crowd resumes shouting, while Steven watch on anxiously. Then I realized that what Nanefua is saying makes sense, I may not be a leader but I respect one who knows how to be one.

Sadie: Steven, I'm going to Lars' parents' house.

Steven: Okay, I'll catch up with you.

Y/N: Me too, I have to listen to what she has to say.

Nanefua: And that is why you should vote for me, your favorite Nanefua, for mayor of Beach City!

The crowd cheers in favor.

Nanefua: When I say "Do we want Dewey?", you say "No." Do we want Dewey?

All, except Steven and me: No!

Nanefua: Do we want Dewey?

All, except Steven and me: No!

Nanefua: Okay, good job.

Steven: Hmm... *types a message for Connie on his phone* "Can't hang today. Mayor D's getting blamed for Gem stuff, and it's totally my fault."

Scene change

Steven's POV

Steven pays a visit to Mayor Dewey in his office, Y/N went with Sadie and talked to Mr. and Mrs. Barriga, as Dewey looks on at the protesters outside his window.

Mayor Dewey : I don't know, Universe. This doesn't look good.

Steven: How's this?

Steven holds up his own protest sign that reads "Dewey's Great ♡".

Mayor Dewey : Oh. That looks great! But I may need more. My gosh. I've never had an opponent before. Even when I ran for mayor of high school, I ran unopposed. Probably because... I made up the position.

Steven: If only I could've warned you about this abduction stuff sooner, then everything would be fine now. I really dropped the ball.

Mayor Dewey: You're right, Universe. This is all your fault. Huh.