Chapter 65: The Question

Steven's POV

Amethyst and Steven find Ruby, sitting next to Greg by his van.

Steven: Ruby!

Amethyst: Oh boy... So she's all the way out here...

Steven: After everything Sapphire said, she must be heartbroken.

Amethyst and Steven proceed to walk up to Ruby and Greg.

Steven: Hey guys!

Ruby: Steven? How'd you find me?

Amethyst: We sensed you...!

Steven: We... heard you ordered pizza.

Greg: Ruby was just telling me about your mom.

Steven: Oh... Are you okay?

Greg: Well, I fell in love with Rose Quartz, and she fell in love with Mr. Universe. Sure, she never told me she used to be Pink Diamond, but, heh, I never told her I used to be Gregory DeMayo.

Steven: So... How are you holding up, Ruby?

Ruby: I'm okay! *holds up a box of pizza to Steven* Want a slice?

Steven: Uh... Thank you... *takes a pizza slice* Wait, really? You seemed so sad before.

Ruby: Yeah, but, me and Greg talked it out. I'm fine now.

Steven: Are you sure?

Amethyst takes Steven's pizza slice off his hand.

Ruby: Yeah. Sapphire was kinda right about everything. We really did stay Garnet because Rose told us to be her... Uh...'answer'. It's my first time thinking about it... It's my first time really thinking about... me!

Steven: What do you mean?

Ruby: Back when I emerged, the first thing I did was get crammed together with a bunch of other Rubies! Then... I was with Sapphire all the time. I was always checking in on someone. But now... I can go wherever the wind takes me!

Ruby grabs three pizza slices and three comic books in each hand.

Ruby: I'm up here, eating pizza, reading comics! I don't know if Sapphire wants to read comics. I don't have to know!

Ruby throws the items on the ground and somersaults onto the roof of the Greg's van.

Ruby: The rest of my life could be like this! I don't have to be Garnet... I can be on my own!

Greg: Sure!

Amethyst: I guess.

Steven: *shocked* Whhhaaaaat?! B-But you guys love each other! You're my favorite couple!
You're- You're like sugar and flour, I- I love eating them separately, but I still want cake! I'm sure Sapphire would want-

Ruby: *halts Steven* I'm not fussed about what Sapphire wants! I've seen my own future now. And it's nothin' but Ruby!

Steven silently starts freaking out.

Greg: Relax, kiddo. This could be what she needs.

Steven: But, Dad! What if they never form Garnet again?! We gotta get them back together!

Greg: Woah... Tha-That's not our call to make! Ruby's gotta want that for herself! If that's not what Ruby wants, then it's not what Garnet wants, right?

Steven: Mmm... Ugh, I guess so...

Ruby begins jumping up and down on the van in enthusiasm.

Amethyst: So... Where you going after this, dude? You just gonna stay out here?