The Two Princes - Part Two - Both

Sorry if this is really cliche :/

-Challenge 3-

The king stood on the balcony facing the entire town to declare the final challenge. Prince Logan and Virgil stood on either side of him with straight faces. Everyone waited in anticipation for the king to speak.

"The third and final challenge will test each suitor's knowledge. If anyone is to marry my sons, he must be similar in intellect so that they won't grow bored of his company." The crowd stayed completely silent even after the king finished speaking.

"All suitors will follow the guards to where the previous challenges have taken place and any villagers wanting to watch may follow after them. The challenge will begin in forty five minutes." Soon, everyone began to move. Most of the villagers were eager to see who would be welcomed into the royal family and took their places behind the line of guards who were making sure no villagers attempted to interfere with the challenge.

Logan and Virgil were allowed to do whatever they pleased but had to be back before the challenge began, which gave them a free thirty minutes.

Logan refused to accept the fact that he was both devasted about Patton being eliminated and extremely anxious about marrying some stranger. None of the men had peaked his interest very much aside from Patton. He still couldn't figure out what Patton had picked up on to read what he was feeling so well. There was something about Patton that peaked his interest like nothing had ever done before, not even school or books.

Also maybe because Patton was handsome...

Logan was pretty much a confused wreck.

---------------

Patton was also a wreck.

The one guy he had ever felt strongly about before was going to be married off to some stranger.

He couldn't even bring himself to go to the challenge.

After a lot of internal arguing, he finally talked himself into going to support Roman.

Patton took a shaky breath and prepared (definitely not a BMC reference) as he closed the door to his house behind him. He took each step hesitantly and made his way to the challenge area.

He spotted Roman standing with the other suitors behind a line of guards. Roman met his gaze after a few seconds with a bittersweet look. Patton assumed that it was because he had gotten eliminated but he was still there to support his friend.

Patton sat there in silence with the rest of the crowd chattering around him. Not even deep breaths were able to calm the pit in his stomach.

He couldn't watch.

He had to get away.

He made a note in his head to apologise to Roman later and ran from the crowd as fast as he could go. He had no idea where to go but thankfully the town was pretty empty because everyone was at the challenge.

Unfortunately, everything was also closed because the whole town was at the challenge. Patton accepted his defeat and sat down on a bench in towns square where he could still hear the excited murmurs coming from the townspeople.

He did his best to fight back the tears that pricked at his eyes and let his head fall into his hands.

He let thoughts consume him about why he had ever thought anything would work out for him in the first place or why he could ever possibly come out on top.

"I'm useless..." He breathed out in a low tone.

"Falsehood."

Patton whipped his head in the direction of the formal, strict tone that entranced him with every word.