Chapter 23

I- I have to tell Shawn. Right now.

I walk into the living room with the test in hand. "Shawn, I'm pregnant." He looks up at me wide eyed, clearly surprised by how bland I sounded. 
He closed his half open mouth and nodded, "Did you tell your dad?"

I shake my head, pulling my phone out and dialing his number, sitting on the couch next to him. 

I know he doesn't like it when I call him, but this is important. He doesn't even reply with a simple hello; he just says, "This better be important."

"Dad, I'm pregnant," I say, locking eyes with Shawn. 

There is a slight pause and I hear him take out a short breath. "Okay. You could have told me through text. I thought you said this was important," he says, as cold and as sarcastic as ever.

I guess me being pregnant isn't important enough for you. I break eye contact with Shawn, swallowing heavily as I end the call abruptly. 

I know Shawn heard it all. He was close enough to.

I let out a sigh, putting my phone on the table as I just sat there. Just thinking.

How is this going to work? I'm afraid an innocent child will be neglected by an alcoholic father,  with no one but their mother. Sure we have money, but what does it do?

And when the 5 years are over, what will happen to our child?

I feel an arm snake around my waist, pulling me out of my thoughts. I blinked, feeling Shawn's body to my left. Closing my eyes, I rested my head on his shoulder. 

We both didn't say a word.

Until he spoke up, "Boy or girl?" I blanked, completely unaware of what he was talking about, "Huh?"

He shook his head lightly, "Do you want a boy or a girl?" I bit my lip, trying to think of an answer. 

"Why does it matter? It's all just for show anyway," I say, mumbling the last sentence. I felt him shuffle slightly, and his right hand caressed my arm gently. I flinched slightly but slowly relaxed.

"You shouldn't let others ruin what you have. We should count our blessings tonight and be grateful. We are having a child together, whether we like it or not, so we might as well look at the positives," he spoke softly, his voice gentle. 

There was this tenderness in the air- something I hadn't felt around him before.

"I never knew you were so philosophical," I say, an easy smile etching my face. I heard a slight rumble from his chest, the sound of him chuckling at me.

"I have a checkup with the doctor in an hour. I have to leave now," I suddenly remember, sliding out of his hold and getting up. 

"With our private doctor?" He asked me, and I simply nodded. "I'll join you," he stated, not giving any room for discussion.

At least I won't experience this alone… That's a good thing..right?

The visit to the doctor was pretty basic. Besides the regular check, I was informed about the estimated date of birth and all that. Shawn played the role of good husband throughout it all; that made me feel less comforting that it was supposed to.

"You didn't have to come. I would have been fine on my own," I say as We slipped into the backseat of the car. "The media would be suspicious," he replies, pulling out his phone and checking his messages. 

"Besides, I wanted to accompany you," he spoke, avoiding eye contact. Really? Surprise was evident in my expression, but he pretended not to notice. "Why?" I blurted out loud, immediately regretting the word I said.