House On Fire

JJ: "This is news footage from a movie theater in Royal, Indiana, population 2,000. Earlier tonight 19 people were killed."

Morgan: "And they're sure it's arson?"

JJ: "Yeah. 2 days ago the same thing happened at the local recreation center. 12 victims, no survivors."

Emily: "I heard about that."

Morgan: "Yeah, it was all over the news."

JJ: "There were some details that didn't make the news. A week and a half earlier there were some fires at a convenience store, a local restaurant. Luckily, it was after hours and no one was hurt."

Rossi: "So whoever set these went from no victims to 31 in 2 weeks. That's a hell of an escalation."

Emily: "Why didn't they call us in sooner?"

JJ: "The local police and fire department knew they were dealing with an arsonist, but they had no idea he'd become a killer."

Reid: "Most arsonists don't. They just like setting fires. Any deaths that occur are almost always accidental."

Morgan: "31 victims is not an accident."

Hotch: "The police chief knows he made a mistake. And he learned the hard way that even though not all arsonists are killers, they do have one thing in common-once they start, they can't stop."

Hotch: "Tennessee Williams said, "We all live in a house on fire. No fire department to call, no way out."

On The Plane

Reid: "Based on the limited population of Royal, the unsub is most likely a local male between the ages of 17 and 30."

Garcia: "What, arson is a sexist industry?"

Reid: "For the most part, yeah. Only 12% of arsonists are female."

Emily: "Apparently women just aren't inclined to burn things."

Hotch: "Let's go with the numbers. Focus on males."

Morgan: "Well, we can scratch hero complex off the list. He hasn't left anyone to save."

Emily: "Yeah, but we can't rule out firefighters and other first responders."

Garcia: "How about I do a background check on all local firefighters and EMTs?"

Hotch: "And flag anyone with a history of being first on the scene."

Rossi: "Or anyone with a juvenile record that includes vandalism or small nuisance fires."

Garcia: "I will look at everything from firebug to flamethrower."

Hotch: "JJ check out the news footage? I want the word out that we'd like to see any personal videos or photos of the fire. Arsonists like to watch, and if our unsub stuck around, maybe somebody will recognize him."

JJ: "I'm on it."

Morgan: "Locals find anything in their call logs that resemble the unsub's M.O.? I mean, he may have staged practice runs."

Rossi: "According to the fire chief's report there was nothing similar in the past year."

Hotch: "Garcia, extend your search statewide. The unsub may have done his practicing far enough away so as not to arouse suspicion."

Garcia: "I will cast a wide net, sir."

Hotch: "Thank you."

JJ: "I grew up in a small town. People are gonna assume anyone we question is guilty."