| 42 |

the words that came out hangyul's mouth shocked haeyoung to the core, but what he said next left her speechless... and broken.

"wha... what? you're my brother?" haeyoung said, frozen as if she was hit in the face with an avalanche. "you're joking, right?"

"uh, no." hangyul said.

"show me proof." haeyoung said.

"you didn't ask yohan for proof when he told you that he was your brother."

"it's because he actually looks like my mother! but you... you... you look like your dad!"

hangyul sighed. "speaking about that, uhm.. i'm actually not your full brother. i'm your half brother only."

"what?" haeyoung said, not understanding anything he said.

"the thing is, we have the same mother, we were born from the same womb, it's just... we have different fathers."

haeyoung suddenly froze in realization. "you're telling me... my mom slept with a different man?"

"pretty much."

"that's why you look so much like your father? since he is your father?!"

"yeah.."

"then why does yohan look like my mom?"

"probably just a coincidence."

"how would i know anything you're saying is real?"

hangyul took out his phone. "i have proof. i found my birth certificate in my father's office just this morning, and i took a picture of it." hangyul said.

he started using and swiping on his phone, until he found the picture he took of his birth certificate. "here."

haeyoung looked at the phone screen, confusion evident in her face. she then scanned the picture thoroughly, and it didn't look anything close to a hoax. "it's true.." she mumbled, but the. noticed something unusual.

on the space that had the parents' names, it wrote both haeyoung's parents' names. "but why does it say my mom's name and my dad's name? isn't it supposed to be my mom and your dad?"

"this is when things go messy."

"messy?"

"yeah. i heard of the story from my parents just the other day." hangyul said.

"hold on, i heard from eunsang that you weren't living with your parents. how did you hear of it, then?" she asked.

"i visited them."

"huh? why'd you run away from them when you'd still visit them, anyway?"

"i didn't run away from them..." hangyul said, taking a deep breath. "they're in prison."

"what?! prison?"

"yeah, and your family is also one of the reasons why they're in jail."

"m-my family?" haeyoung uttered.

"yeah, let's start from the beginning, shall we?" hangyul said.

"it turns out our parents were all friends back in high school. then my mother and your mother liked the same guy, which was my father, but my father liked your mother. after that, she lost feelings and left my current father for your deceased father." hangyul said.

"but my current mother wasn't having any of it, and they had this huge fight which resulted them into breaking their friendship. but that wasn't all, though. after your mother and your father became a couple, they started making fun and bullying my current mother for the rest of high school. after they went to university, your parents lost contact with my current parents." hangyul explained.