| 30 |

finals; it's that time of the year again. that time of the year when every student is stressed out because of all the work and studying.

that time of the year when it feels like all the students are carrying a huge weight on their shoulders that wouldn't be lifted unless they studied day and night to pass the exams.

and finally, that time of the year when everyone is pressured to see their names posted on the huge bulletin board, worrying if they would suffer embarrassment if they see their names on the bottom of the list.

haeyoung was always a smart child, she just never showed it when she moved to her current school. she thought that if she doesn't have a good present right now, she might as well study to get a good future later on.

it was the third of december (the first monday of the month), meaning that it was time to study and listen to the lessons extra hard for finals, which were coming up before winter break. she spent restless days to manage her social life, part-time job, and academics.

she felt exhausted everyday. she just wanted to rest, but she couldn't without thinking about her grandmother. her surgery was happening this week, and haeyoung was nervous about what would happen.

would she be left alone in this cruel world again, or would she continue being happy with the only person she has until she's more grown up? she was hoping it wasn't the first choice.

lunch break struck and haeyoung was motivated enough to stay with her friends. even if it's already been one and a half weeks, she still had this awkward feeling whenever she sees eunsang and wonjin, but she decided not to think of it as much for her and her friends' own sake. she still had no progress on finding who spread the rumor, but at least she knows pieces of information from them; their voices, and their back profile.

once she was met with her friends, they headed up to the rooftop to eat their lunches in peace.

"oh, by the way, haeyoung," dongpyo said, "did you know that someone made a fundraiser for you?"

"what? really?" haeyoung said, "let me see."

dongpyo showed his phone and what he was saying was true. someone did make a fundraiser for her. the goal was two million won, and almost a million won was already raised.

"whoever did this is an angel," haeyoung said, "but who could've done it? did you do it, dongpyo?"

"no," dongpyo said.

"how 'bout you, wonjin?"

"not me either."

"eunsang," haeyoung said, "i bet it's you. you're the one who made it, right?"

"no, i didn't. maybe yohan did it? he may be part of your family after all." eunsang said.

"you're right, maybe he did it." haeyoung said.

"the person who made the fundraiser started it two weeks ago, and it already made a little more than 900,000 won. look how many people want to help you, hae!" dongpyo said.

haeyoung smiled and nodded. "you're right, maybe the world is not that bad after all."

haeyoung sat down on her dresser, phone in her hand. she wanted to call someone before she slept, or else she wouldn't be able to. she typed in the number, and anticipated for the person to answer. after what felt like forever, the person picked up their phone.

"hello?" the person answered.

"uh, hey, yohan." haeyoung said, sitting straight up her chair.

"oh, haeyoung. what are you still doing up? you have school tomorrow, right? you should sleep."

"uh, yeah. i was about to, but i remembered something."

"yeah, what is it?" yohan asked.

" i remembered that i wanted to ask you something."

"go on," yohan said.

"um, so someone made this fundraiser for me to help with my grandmother's hospital expenses. none of my friends did it, so i was just wondering if you did it...?"

before yohan answered, there was a faint coughing sound in the back. "yo, dude, you oka-" yohan said, getting cut off by another voice.

"can you get... me some water... please?" the other voice said, couging, barely getting heard by haeyoung.

"um, hello? yohan? you still there?" haeyoung asked.

"uh, yeah. i'm just gonna get some water for him, i'm gonna be back." yohan said, leaving his phone while haeyoung was still in the other line.

"him? you're with someone? who's h-" she said, but cut off by the call being ended. "wha- hello? hello! wow, how amazing.."

haeyoung sighed and turned off her phone. she flopped down on her bed, and stared at the ceiling.

"who could've done it? i mean, they're such a good person for doing it, but why wouldn't they tell me?" haeyoung asked herself, now facing her bed and burying her face on the matress. however, her head raised up when she realized something.

"wait, if it isn't yohan, could it be... no, hahaha, what am i even thinking?" she laughed at herself. "why would i be so stupid and think that it could be hangyul? gosh... did i eat something bad? you know what, maybe i need sleep. maybe i've been lacking sleep, so much that i'm going crazy and thinking that it could be hangyul."