| 34 |

haeyoung sighed. she didn't want to go to school. a couple days went by, mourning days were over, her grandmother was already cremated, but her heart still felt the same.

even though her grandmother told her to not be too saddened by her death, she still felt like she just wanted to disappear into a dark hole forever, and never come back.

she hadn't eaten for a while now, yet she doesn't feel any hunger. in fact, she doesn't feel anything at all. she felt like her body was floating mid-air while her mind was in the clouds.

once she finally had the need to take care of herself, she ate a small snack, then dressed up for her part-time job. eunsang's aunt and uncle knew the situation, and gave her two weeks free for it.

but since haeyoung didn't want to go to school, yet at the same time she wanted to distract her mind from these thoughts, she just took a shift. plus, she needed the money.

"oh, haeyoung. what are you doing here? it's your free time, you're supposed to rest." the owner (eunsang's aunt) said.

"oh, uh, i just wanted to work so i can get my mind off things..."she said, slightly smiling.

"oh, all right... go dress up for work now, your shift is about to start."

she quickly dressed up in her work uniform and waited for customers to come in. everything was going fine until two customers that caught her eye came in.

"welcome to- hangyul? aren't you supposed to be in school?" haeyoung said, once she saw hangyul.

"oh, hey, haeyoung... didn't know you worked here..." hangyul said. "about that... yeah, i skipped school since my mom wanted me to take my grandmother out for her birthday since my mom went on a business trip."

"oh," haeyoung said, before looking at hangyul's grandmother. she was surprised once she saw who she was. "um, hello, mrs. lee. i didn't know you were hangyul's grandmother." she lightly chuckled, despite being shocked.

"hey, haeyoung! i didn't know you knew hangyul, either." hangyul's grandmother said.

"you guys know each other?" hangyul asked.

"yeah, actually..." said haeyoung. "she's my grandmother's best friend. the one that helped me prepare her funeral..."

the two customers took their seats as haeyoung prepared their orders. but even as she did those, she had some questions in mind.

how the heck didn't i know that my grandma's best friend was hangyul's grandma all these years? and how didn't he know it, too? do our families know each other? and if so, why didn't we keep contact?

well, the answer to those questions is a completely different story.

there it came, again. depression took over her, like a huge wave of water just crashing on her body, making her fall. it was already the day before finals she hadn't came to school since her grandmother passed, and she was obviously missing a lot.

she only studied for a few times, but she felt like she forgot it all. it's fine if i fail, though, she thought, it's not like i'm going to live any longer...