Chapter 11: Keep Flirting And Play Dumb

Começar do início

"Ah," he said, extending his arm. "The famous Morgan Hall. It's nice to finally meet you. Jean talks about you all the time."

"All good things," Jean said, pecking him on the cheek.

"Nice to meet you too," I responded, shaking his hand. "Well, I'll let you guys get back to what you were doing."

I left them in the living room and looked back when I got to the staircase. I noticed the face Jean made when she sat down again.

Something wasn't right. Something wasn't right at all.

~~~~~~~~

I listened to Shannon recount her date with Cole to me during lunch. Well, I tried to. My mind was on Jean. My mind had been on Jean ever since the previous night.

"Morgan?" Shan called.

"Huh?" I said.

She sighed. "And you totally ignored everything that I just said."

"No, no, I'm sorry," I apologized. "I've been thinking about things. Start over."

She frowned. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I lied.

She rolled her eyes. "I know you, spill."

I hesitated and then looked around, making sure no one was close enough that they could hear us.

"I think Jean's boyfriend...hits her," I said quietly.

Saying the words out loud filled my chest with so much anger and disgust.

Shannon's eyes widened. "Isn't she dating that producer...Scott Wilde?"

I nodded. "I met him yesterday. Seems...charming."

"Are you sure it's him?" she asked.

"Maybe it's not, but someone definitely isn't treating her right," I answered. "Otherwise I would like to know if her choreographies involve action movie stunts."

"Oh my God," she remarked. "That's serious Morgan. Have you told anyone else about it?"

"What? God no," I quickly said. "Like you said, it's a pretty serious accusation."

"Well have you asked her about it?"

"She's just going to deny it," I answered, remembering the bruise on her face she wanted to cover up. "Last time I noticed she gave me this bullshit excuse about how she fell during rehearsal."

"What if she actually fell?" Shan asked. "Maybe you're reading too much into it?"

"I'm not, I promise," I replied. "I just...it's a gut feeling. Something is off, I know it."

"You have to do something," she told me.

I sighed. "I know."

"We should get going," she said. "Lunch ends soon."

"Yeah," I agreed.

I looked across the courtyard and this time around I actually found Aaron. He was seated, chatting with another guy. His friend noticed me and tapped him. Aaron looked around and then found me. He smirked and gave me a small wave. A little embarrassed, I smiled back.

Shannon looked at me and then looked across to where he was too.

"Oh," she chuckled. "Now I see why you're smiling like that."

I looked at her. "Smiling like what?"

"Uh huh," she chuckled, walking away. "Keep flirting and play dumb then."

I caught up with her. "Flirting? I only smiled at him. We're...sort of friends now I guess."

"Really? Just friends?" she questioned.

"Yes, just friends," I stated.

Aaron was a nice guy, don't get me wrong, but I didn't wear my heart on my sleeve like Shannon did. I didn't fall for guys that easily. And I definitely hadn't fallen for Aaron like that.

"Alright Morgan, I'll take your word for it," she remarked with a smirk. "I have to get to class before my English teacher gives me another detention."

"Mrs. Hansen?"

"Or as I like to call her, the wicked witch of the Sterling Academy west," she said. "I'll see you later gorgeous."

I chuckled, going my own way.

~~~~~~~~

Meeting Aaron in the park after school had become regular over the past week. When I got there I saw him petting a dog.

"Well hello," he smirked when he saw me. "Am I that attractive that you can't take your eyes off me Morgan?"

I knew he was referring to lunch today.

My face heated up but I rolled my eyes anyway. "Saying hi isn't a crime."

He chuckled and I took a seat beside him.

"Who's dog is this?" I asked.

He shrugged. "I don't know. I think she's a stray, she's got no collar."

"You're petting a stray dog?" I questioned.

"Yes?"

"Well...what if it has rabies?"

"Way to assume the worst Morgan," he chuckled. "Besides, she doesn't seem like a rabid dog to me. You're healthy, aren't you girl?"

He was talking to the dog now. I just smiled and shook my head. He amused me sometimes.

Then the dog barked excitedly, attempting to climb onto my lap.

Aaron leaned close to me. "I think she likes you."

I laughed and stroked her black fur.

I rose my head to talk to him but my eyes caught something else behind him, in the background. It was a black van, parked on the side of the road. I looked around and saw one to my left, and two more behind me.

"Oh crap," I muttered.

"What's wrong?" he asked me.

"We kind of have to go," I answered. "I do at least."

The last thing I needed was another story, and throwing Aaron into the mix wasn't going to do him any service. I could picture the stupid headlines in my head.

He noticed I was looking around and looked back as well before turning. "Why?"

I sighed. "Paparazzi."

A/N

Sorry you guys had to wait this long for an update. I really try to stick to regular, on-time updates but stuff happens I guess.

I hope everyone is staying indoors and staying safe though. Take care of yourselves and your minds. Hopefully this will all be over soon.

- amani