The Emperor's Edge 3: Chapter 18 Part 1

Cold water streamed past Basilard. He followed Sicarius toward the surface, kicking and stroking with his good arm. For the moment, he carried his dagger clenched between his teeth. Clear water surrounded him, but, without a mask, images were blurry and indistinct, though he had little trouble making out the kraken’s massive form.

Someone—was that Maldynado?—was swimming toward its underbelly. He stopped ten or fifteen feet below the kraken and lined up a shot. He ignored the tentacles—though he was careful not to swim too close to them—and fired at the creature’s giant mantle.

The harpoon streamed toward it and sank into the purple flesh. Though it appeared small next to the creature—like a toothpick protruding from a bear’s hide—the kraken must have noticed it, for it whipped a tentacle up and batted at the intrusion. The harpoon fell out and sank, disappearing into the lake depths.

Another tentacle dropped away from the bottom of the ship and snaked toward Maldynado. On land, he could have dodged the attack, but Sicarius was right. The water and suits made people slow. Despite Maldynado’s quick kicks and strokes to the side, the tentacle clipped him on the shoulder. He spun backward in a clumsy somersault.

Basilard grabbed his dagger, thinking to go in and help, but Amaranthe and Books were kicking toward Maldynado’s position. Sicarius tapped Basilard and pointed to the surface.

Basilard grimaced. His lungs were starting to hunger for air, but he hated to leave if his teammates needed help.

Sicarius saw his hesitation and stroked for the surface himself. Thinking he had some plan to share, Basilard went after him. They were deeper than he realized, and he gasped in a great lungful of air as soon as they broke the surface.

A cannon boomed, the sound pummeling his eardrums. They had come up less than ten feet from the bow of the ship. A broken wooden rail floated by, scraping Basilard’s injured shoulder. Fresh pain flared, and he gasped, almost dropping his dagger.

Fortunately, the marines were too busy to notice him. To their credit, the men shouting to load guns and bring the ship about sounded calm and competent rather than terrified.

“I’m going in,” Sicarius said. “Watch my back.”

That was all he said before taking a deep breath and submerging again.

Basilard inhaled, tipped his legs up into the air, and dove.

Below the kraken, Maldynado had recovered and was loading a new harpoon. Amaranthe, Akstyr, and Books fired their own launchers, timing it so the weapons released simultaneously.

Akstyr’s harpoon skimmed a tentacle and did no damage. Books’s projectile flew wide, but Amaranthe’s sank into one of the creature’s eyes.

The body reared back, and the tentacles released the Saberfist and stiffened. Ink clouded the water, obscuring the ship and the creature.

Basilard watched, hoping Amaranthe’s shot might prove the killing blow.

The kraken dropped below the ship, tentacles streaming out behind it as it dove.

Sicarius was already swimming toward it. This was their chance.

Basilard hurried to catch up. What he could do with his insignificant dagger, he didn’t know, but he had to try to help.

The mantle flexed, and the kraken shot forward on a stream of water. Sicarius stroked after it, but the powerful creature outpaced him. It swam straight for Amaranthe.

Basilard cut across. He couldn’t catch up with the body of the thing, but maybe he could slice into a tentacle and distract it.

Suction-cup-covered flesh streamed past. He tried to grab the tentacle, but the slick rubbery flesh offered a poor handhold. Nonetheless he managed to thrust his dagger into it near the tip.

The tentacle moved past so quickly, it nearly tore the weapon from his grip. As it was, his blade ripped a foot-long gouge into the flesh.

The tentacle flicked, an annoyed gesture that caught Basilard in the chest. Despite the off-hand nature of the attack, it thumped him hard, and precious air escaped his lips. Bubbles streamed upward before his eyes. At least he had kept the dagger.

Basilard debated on going up for air again, but the kraken slowed as it neared the laboratory vessel. He did not see Amaranthe. Sicarius was weaving through the tentacles, avoiding them instead of attacking them. He approached the hole water shot from, and Basilard could see the current pushing against him, making the swim difficult.

Forgoing air, Basilard swam downward.

The kraken wouldn’t cooperate and hold still. Apparently incensed by the eye wound, it whipped about the fortress, seeking the one who had struck the blow.

When the beast switched from blowing out water to sucking it in, Sicarius dove in, aided by the current. Basilard swirled through the tentacles, trying to swim closer without letting the kraken know he was there, and could easily be captured—or killed.

Sicarius reached the interior of the mantle and thrust the keg into the dark orifice. Basilard thought that was it, that they had accomplished the mission, but the keg gushed right out again on the kraken’s next burst of forward motion. It bounced off a tentacle and dropped, unharmed.

Sicarius dove for it. Another tentacle clipped Basilard in the back, stirring pain again, and he swam away from the writhing limbs. He worried the kraken would turn on them, but it was still intent on its prey—Amaranthe.

With quick efficient strokes, Sicarius retrieved the keg before it disappeared into the depths below.

Basilard paddled down to join him. Even here, underwater, Sicarius maintained his neutral facade with no hint of disappointment stamping his face. He had to be surprised or annoyed at the least. Hadn’t the keg been designed to implode?

Above them, the kraken swooped beneath the laboratory. Amaranthe was swimming there, hiding beneath the corridors and rooms of the vessel. The rest of the team appeared to be out of harpoons. Maldynado was chasing after the kraken with his sword. Basilard’s gut clenched. They had to stop the creature soon, or it was bound to catch Amaranthe.

Basilard’s lungs called out for air again, but he swam closer to Sicarius and waved his knife. He pointed at the keg and made a hammer motion. If they pierced a hole in it, the poison might flow out when the kraken sucked it in next time. Enough of the poison to affect something.

Sicarius nodded and held out the keg. Basilard rammed his dagger through the wood. He started to pull it out again, but Sicarius stopped him.

He mouthed something but swam away before Basilard realized what. The dagger hilt stuck out of the wood, and he left it there. Ah, cork. Yes, he could pull it out at the last moment.

Basilard wanted to stay and help, but he needed air. Maldynado and Akstyr swam past as he headed upward. He hoped they would survive without him.