The Emperor's Edge 3: Chapter 2 Part 2

Morning sun burned into the rusted hulls of decommissioned rail cars that filled the vast boneyard. Heat radiated from them, some as yet unscathed by the years and others so rusted each wall was a see-through latticework. The occasional shiny bits glinted, throwing rays into Amaranthe’s eyes as she passed. Weeds rose from cracks between faded and broken bricks that lined the ground, suggesting the area had once had a nobler purpose.

Sicarius had disappeared as soon as they neared the boneyard, and Amaranthe weaved through the aisles toward their hideout alone. Unfamiliar coughs and voices echoed from different parts of the field, a reminder that more groups than hers called this place a home, however temporarily. Cigar stubs, some filled with tobacco and some with more potent leaves, littered the bricks. Bloodstains were nearly as frequent. The boneyard had the benefit of not being visited often by enforcers, but that also made it a place Amaranthe would not have chosen to visit alone at night.

She turned down a dead end and stumbled. Maldynado lounged in a chair he had scavenged from one of the passenger cars. His face was tilted toward the sun, his eyes were closed, his hands were clasped behind his head, and he was…naked.

“Maldynado,” Amaranthe groaned.

“Oh, hullo, boss.” He neither rose nor adjusted his position to hide anything; he simply sprawled there, like a cat in a sunbeam.

“What are you doing?”

“Vacationing.”

Amaranthe pulled a towel out of her satchel and draped it across his waist as she walked past. “I see you’ve set yourself an ambitious itinerary.”

“You said to relax. I’m relaxing.” He scratched an armpit. “I’ve been thinking.”

“Profound and philosophical thoughts?”

“Naturally,” Maldynado said. “For instance, I figure we should have a team uniform.”

“A uniform?”

“Clothes that make us look like a stylish and cohesive unit of elite combat professionals.”

“Something like what Sicarius wears?” Amaranthe asked.

“He’s far too monochromatic and plain to be considered stylish.”

“I see. Well, let me know what you come up with.” She peered into the cars she and her team had claimed, a set of three that were less rusted than most. They framed a dead end and created a private camp spot. “Anyone else about?”

“Akstyr’s off somewhere being secretive and magicky, and Books left at dawn, excited about spending a day at the library—that is pathetic, by the way.”

“Basilard’s not around?”

“Haven’t seen him since last night.”

“I hope he shows up today. I want to take everybody in and investigate Barlovoc Stadium. Something’s going on, maybe something important.”

“Important enough to interrupt our vacation?”

“Absolutely,” Amaranthe said. “This has the potential to attract attention high up. This could be the one.”

“Uh huh, when you’re done rubbing your hands together and plotting gleefully, think about what you’re going to wear for your date tonight.”

“My what?”

Sicarius chose that moment to finish scouting and walk into camp.

“You know what I’m talking about,” Maldynado said. “Lord Mancrest. I’ve been trying to get you to meet him for weeks, but you keep saying, ‘wait until we have some time off.’ Well, you gave us time off.”