The Emperor's Edge 3: Chapter 3 Part 2

Amaranthe nibbled on a fingernail. She hid in the shadows behind a street vendor’s cart while she waited for Maldynado. Almost a half of an hour had passed since he disappeared into the busy market. She needed to get back before the Mancrests left the Gazette building.

Though twilight had settled in, the throng of shoppers had yet to wane. Gas lamps shone light onto the vegetable stands, smoked meat carts, and tables displaying candles, soaps, and flower bundles. Across the street from Amaranthe, a man and woman were selling freshly roasted walnuts and almonds doused in cinnamon and sugar. Her mouth watered, reminding her it had been a long time since breakfast.

Maldynado ambled into view with bulging canvas bags draped over both arms.

Amaranthe stared at the sizable haul. “You were just supposed to get flatbread and cheese,” she said when he joined her. “Maybe a cheap jug of applejack.”

“You do not know how to prepare a romantic dinner.” He poked through his bags. “I got you red wine, Anduvian rolls, quiche, fresh herbs and greens, carrots, parsnips, cider vinegar, and walnut oil—you can make a lovely salad. Oh, and cedar-wood scented candles. Those promote stamina.” He wiggled his brows.

“First off, I’m not romancing the man. He tried to turn me over to the army tonight. Second, how did you get all that? I only gave you five ranmyas.”

“That’s right, you did.” Maldynado rearranged the bags, fished in a pocket, and pulled out a five-ranmya bill. “Here’s your change. I got it all for free. Samples, you see, on account of the lavish spread my mother is planning. If she likes what she tries, she’ll put in a huge order for her annual summer tea party.”

“This is the mother who hasn’t spoken to you in a year?” Amaranthe asked.

“Closer to two.” Maldynado winked and started loading bags onto her arms, but paused midway through. “Maybe I should go with you and help set things up. You’re a capable woman in general, but I’m not convinced you have the necessary experience to seduce a man.”

“I’m not seducing anyone.” She took the remaining bags from him. “I’m just trying to talk him into listening to my story and publishing the truth about our adventures.”

“I got you today’s copy of The Gazette, too. You might want to see if he’s got an article in it. Then you can talk to him about it. Men love it when you’re interested in their work. And sports. Do you know anything about the athletes entering the wrestling? You could—”

Thank you, Maldynado.” Amaranthe did not quite manage to keep the exasperation out of her voice. “I’ve got to get back before he leaves the office.”

“You’re certain you don’t want me to come?”

“I’m certain.”

“At the least, I feel I should go along and punch him in the nose a couple of times for betraying me and trying to ensnare you. That’s not a gentlemanly thing to do.”

“No need. Go check on the others. Books will be bored without you.” Amaranthe strode away at a brisk pace before he could burble more.

“That is true,” was the last thing she heard him say.

With the bags in hand, she headed toward the canal where she had left Sicarius watching the Gazette building. Though she appreciated Maldynado’s enthusiasm for planning her evening—sort of—his shopping trip had taken her away for longer than expected. If Lord Mancrest left before she returned, Sicarius was supposed to follow him and find out where he lived, but Amaranthe worried that sending Sicarius off after a man he loathed might not be wise.