The Emperor's Edge 3: Chapter 2 Part 3

A steam whistle blew, and workers streamed out of factories. Positioned between the industrial district and the shops and studios of the northern waterfront area, the old Gazette building overlooked one of the canals that flowed through the city. From the mouth of an alley across the waterway, Amaranthe, Sicarius, and Maldynado observed men exiting, shucking their single-breasted jackets and frock coats to walk home in the warm air.

Though evening had come, the sun still shone, offering few shadows to cloak the alley. The idea of heading along the broad waterfront street and over the wide canal bridge made Amaranthe uneasy. This was part of her old patrol route, and any enforcers she ran into here would recognize her.

“It’s not going to be a trap,” Maldynado said. “I know this fellow. We used to fence together back before he took a spear in the hip at Amentar. He earned a medal of valor because he was leading the attack to save some border town and risked his life to save a bunch of children. He’s a good, noble man.”

“Good, noble people are the types who feel obligated to turn in outlaws,” Amaranthe said, drawing an approving nod from Sicarius.

“He’ll expect you to come in through the front,” Sicarius said. “I’ll see if there’s another entrance.”

He went down the alley instead of walking out the front, presumably choosing a route that would keep him out of sight.

“He’ll probably find us a third-story window to crawl through,” Maldynado muttered. “Look, I’ve had brandy with Deret twice since I became an outlaw. He hasn’t turned me in yet. And he doesn’t look down on me because I’m disowned. He’s one of the few who don’t.”

“I’m sure he’s a fine fellow,” Amaranthe said. “We’re just being cautious.”

While they waited for Sicarius to return, the traffic leaving the front of the building dwindled. A pair of enforcers strode along the timeworn cobblestone street lining the canal, and Amaranthe eased deeper into the alley. An ordinary patrol, she told herself. Nothing that suggested they were conveniently around to play a role in a trap being sprung.

She nibbled on a finger, wondering if she was letting Sicarius’s paranoia get to her.

“This way.” Sicarius appeared at her shoulder.

Maldynado was the one to jump. “Always sneaking up on people,” he muttered under his breath.

Without a word, Sicarius led them through the alley and around the building to a ladder leading down to a ledge along the canal. Keelboats and cargo rafts floated up and down the waterway, but nobody paid attention to Amaranthe’s team. The pilots were too busy navigating past houseboats, skiffs, and each other to watch the foot traffic.

Sicarius stopped at the base of one of the city’s newer steel bridges and gripped one of the support beams. Legs dangling, he swung from handhold to handhold, like a monkey skimming through the treetops.

Amaranthe and Maldynado exchanged incredulous looks.

“Is he joking?” Maldynado asked. “Why can’t we walk across the bridge?”

“Training?” Amaranthe guessed.

Sicarius, midway across, paused and peered back over his shoulder. “The top of the bridge is visible from The Gazette’s upper windows.”

“So?” Maldynado said.

“It would be unwise to let them see us coming.” Sicarius returned to the climb, apparently considering the discussion over.

“Does he truly believe someone is sitting at a window, watching the bridge for your arrival?” Maldynado asked. “I didn’t tell Deret you were that cute.”