The Emperor's Edge 3: Chapter 12 Part 3

Books returned from his research trip in time for dinner and sat down with Amaranthe and Maldynado around the fire pit of their camp. Snores wafted from the rail car where Akstyr rested. Yawns tugged at Amaranthe’s mouth, but she focused on Books.

“I found two possible sources for diving suits,” he said. “A privately owned fresh-water treasure-hunting tugboat called the Tuggle has been moored in Stumps for the last two weeks. It seems likely they’d have diving gear. Also, the Imperial Saberfist is coming into port tomorrow. It’s a military vessel in charge of maritime rescue and salvage operations.”

Amaranthe shook her head. Leave it to the empire to give even its rescue ships war-like names.

“During times of war,” Books continued, “the Saberfist plies the Gulf, but it’s currently stationed in the Chain Lakes and has been working the Goldar River alongside an archaeology team.”

“Is there a reason I should do anything except dismiss the Saberfist?” she asked, surprised Books had bothered with all the details. Though Sicarius might find thieving from a heavily manned and well-guarded military vessel a good training exercise, she could not think of a reason to risk it when another option existed.

Maldynado scratched his jaw. “That ship sounds familiar.”

“The commander of the marine vessel,” Books said, “is one Captain Talmuk Mancrest, elder brother of Deret.”

Maldynado snapped his fingers. “That’s right. We got a tour of it when we were children. Not much firepower—only a couple of dozen cannons—but lots of other brilliant equipment. We got to swing on this crane that’s used for—”

Amaranthe cleared her throat. “Let’s save story hour for later. This isn’t the same brother who tried to arrange my capture at the newspaper office, right?”

“No,” Maldynado said. “Talmuk’s nearly twenty years older than Deret. Acts like he’s forty years older. Stuffy old coot. Walks around like he’s got a ramrod permanently lodged in his—”

Thank you, I get the picture.”

“I thought you might wish to try talking to your Mancrest again,” Books said, “to see if he could get us on board to requisition supplies. Perhaps, since you spared his life in the pyramid, he’ll be more inclined to listen.”

“Depends on how long it took him to retrieve that key,” Amaranthe said.

Maldynado snorted.

“I don’t want to wait until tomorrow. Let’s visit the treasure-hunting ship. If it’s a civilian vessel, maybe there won’t be more than a guard or two on board.”

Or maybe there would be no one on board, and they could easily borrow the suits. For once, it’d be nice if something was easy and went according to plan. Somehow, she doubted she would be that lucky.