The Emperor's Edge 3: Chapter 11 Part 2

Amaranthe swept dust and food crumbs off the top of the lookout car. Despite the busy night, she had slept poorly when she, Maldynado, and Books returned to their camp in the boneyard. She had woken at dawn, the lump on her head throbbing, and frequent yawns had been tearing her gritty eyes ever since. Morning sun beat against her back, making the night’s rain a faint memory, but the warmth failed to cheer her. Akstyr had not returned, and she was beginning to fear he had been captured, too. Or worse.

She could not stop picturing Fasha’s dead body in her mind. Though the girl had never officially hired her team, or asked for protection, Amaranthe knew she had failed her. She should have kept better tabs on the girl, or at least warned her not to go hunting for clues on her own.

She swept more vigorously.

“Amaranthe?” Books called. “Are you up there?”

She swept a walnut shell off the edge, sending it clanging against the rail car on the far side of their camp.

“Must be a yes,” Books muttered as he climbed up. He frowned over the top of the ladder at her. “I can see cleaning the cars we’re dwelling in, but the tops of them? Is that necessary?”

Books held a napkin full of food, and Amaranthe stopped sweeping. Her stomach rumbled, reminding her that many hours had passed since her last meal.

“Someone ate walnuts up here and left shells everywhere,” she said.

“Yes, but is it necessary to clean that?”

“No, it’s not necessary, Books, but this is what I do when—” She broke off, not wanting to start ranting over nothing. He was not the one upsetting her; it was the cursed situation and the fact that she was losing men every time she turned around. “This is what I do.”

“Sorry,” he said. “I just thought...you should get more rest.”

“I couldn’t sleep.”

“Ah.” Books cleared his throat, glanced down, and seemed to remember he held food. “Breakfast?” He offered her a couple of hard-boiled eggs and a slab of ham.

Amaranthe drew her kerchief from her pocket, found it soot-stained, and sighed. She set it aside to wash later and grabbed the food barehanded. “Thank you.”

“It’s an all-protein breakfast,” Books said. “I believe Sicarius would approve.”

She tried to smile. “He’d add seeds and raw vegetables to counteract the saltiness of the ham. Or maybe they’re to keep morning movements regular. I think I’ve finally got his diet down, but I can’t remember all the reasons for all the rules.”

“I just know we’re lucky to have food at all with Basilard gone. What are we going to do next to find them?”

“I’m not sure.” Which meant she had no idea. “They know we’re looking for them now. I wish we had some soldier friends at Fort Urgot, so we could ask if anyone knew what Taloncrest was last working on.” Amaranthe took a bigger bite of ham than normal, tearing it off with a savage chomp.

“Yes, soldiers have that tedious tendency to try and capture us when we get close. Or shoot us on sight.”

“We were this close....” She held up her thumb and forefinger, a millimeter between them. “I don’t know if that was their hideout or simply a transfer station, but the fire surely destroyed any evidence left behind. They must have realized there were witnesses to Basilard’s kidnapping. Or maybe they intended him to be the last person they stole, and they didn’t need the fire brigade building any more.”