Chapter 6: The Warnings After Dinner

Disclaimer: All characters mentioned in this chapter belongs to Rick Riordan.

Don't forget to comment and vote!!

Dinner went fairly well. Everyone in Brooklyn House gathered on the terrace. Annabeth, Carter, and Zia were indulged in a deep conversation about the design of the mansion. Nico was sitting on a deck chair away from the crowd. Everyone else was wishing Walt good-bye. Sadie sat down next to Nico. A very surprised Nico looked up from his plate of food. Sadie was too tired and hungry to say anything, so she just continued eating. Nico went back to eating too. Sadie noticed that their part of the terrace was darkest compared to the other parts of the terrace.

After dinner Annabeth led Sadie inside for a private chat. "Did you guys come across Anubis, today?" Annabeth asked.

Sadie nodded. "Did you already know about this stuff? Like him being a descendant of Amenhotep III?" Sadie asked.

Annabeth paled. "I know all about this stuff, Sadie. However, I can not tell you because it might lead to more trouble," she replied. "Also you do know that Nico is not Anubis, right? They may look alike, but Nico and Anubis have very different abilities. If Nico successfully hosted Anubis, you can be sure that it is not like Walt hosting him. Besides, learning magic will make him even stronger than the average demigod or magician. Especially when he's already a child of Hades," Annabeth warned.

Sadie nodded. Her legs trembled slightly. "Thanks for the warnings, mate," she replied.

Annabeth, however, looked unsatisfied. "Sadie Kane, you have to take this seriously, the prophecies are coming into play, the next few months will be harder, more monsters, problems, and...deaths," Annabeth let that hang in the air between them.

"What do you mean by deaths?" Sadie asked.

"I can't tell you. You might try to stop or prevent it somehow. And believe me, some deaths can't be prevented," Annabeth's tone was filled with bitterness. Sadie guessed something bad must've happened to someone who was close to her.

"So is this all then?" Sadie asked, trying to change the subject.

"One more thing, don't do anything rash, and keep Nico safe," she added.

Sadie nodded. "Of course I'll keep him safe. He's a member of the 21st Nome, now."

"Thanks, Sadie. It's just that he's been through a lot, and Percy and I took the responsibility of caring for him after he left camp. He's like a little brother to us," she explained.

"That would explain why you tackled and threatened him for being late," she said sarcastically.

Annabeth chuckled. "He deserved it. Besides, don't think this was the only time it has happened. Little Death Boy likes to shadow-travel everywhere, so just keep him within your sight, 'kay?"

"Sure thing," Sadie assured. "But shouldn't you put Carter in charge of this?" Sadie asked. "I mean, not to say I'm irresponsible or anything, but he's more the leader and I'm the second-in-command."

"If I wanted Carter to do this, I would've. However, I know more about you than him," she started.

"Probably because you know my secret name," Sadie cut in. It still bothered her that Annabeth knew her secret name. Now she knows how Carter felt when she found out what his secret name was.

"Hey, tough times call for extreme measures," she countered. "Also, you and Nico seem pretty close. You must've had a great time together right? Going through Little Italy, walking through parks, sharing information?" Annabeth teased.