the beach

"How are you feeling?" my dad asked as I sat at the counter. I fiddled with my fingers for a second before making eye contact with him. "I'm good, why what's up?" I questioned with a slight tilt. I have this wary feeling for not telling my dad about the recent situations. Yes... Unknown is actually pretty weird and scary, but my dad would freak out. And not to mention I can't even think about the amount of lies I would have to tell. I wouldn't be able to tell about Ron harassing, or Jisung wanting to beat him up. And he would undoubtedly be mad that I've taken this long to inform him. "Just wondering. I've been quite busy due to work, and you haven't really been telling me much lately" my dad said grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge. "Nothing has really been going on lately, I've just been going to work and school and that's it" I replied shrugging my shoulders. It's not a complete lie. I've been either keeping up with college applications, work with Lindsey, or silently freaking about unknown. "Why don't you go out and do something? Do something with Carmen" he says. "Like what?" I question. The most that Carmen and I have had time for recently is getting food, or sleep overs. "I don't know. Go to the beach, visit a different city for the day, just do something. Your mom would kill me if i just let you coop yourself inside all the time" he replied chuckling. I wouldn't say my mom wasn't a super sore subject anymore. When everything happened... I couldn't even look anywhere without being reminded of her. Slowly of course, I moved on and healed. When my dad brings her up it eases me a bit, knowing he's healed as well. "I don't know" I replied lowly. I glanced toward the clock in the living room, knowing he should be leaving for work soon. "I mean Lindsey said she'll be giving you two days off a week now. So pick two days some time soon and do something" he offered. "Just think about it, but anyways I have to go. Love you" he adds coming around the counter to kiss the top of my head. "Love you too" I replied. 

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"And I told Jackson that he should just tell me and stop hiding shit because I'll always find out" Carmen says. She had been rambling all about work during lunch. "What exactly was he hiding again?" I ask as I spaced out half way through. The guilt approached me when she signed aggressively to the question. "A couple guys came in and immediately his expression changed. He told me to man the counter and he took them to the back of the laundry mat. And when i asked about it, he just kept putting the question off" she explained. "Did the guys look sketchy?" I questioned. Carmen stopped for a minute as if she was trying to think of what to say. "No, but I wouldn't say they looked innocent. The guys seemed around the age of Jeno" she replied. 

"Do you wanna do something this weekend?" I asked as we walked the halls. Carmen turned her head almost with a sparkle in her eyes. "oooh, like what?" she questions. "I don't know exactly, but I just want to do something. My dad is getting on my case because I stay cooped inside the house" I replied. "I mean he's not wrong. But when was the last time he urged you to go out and do things? I don't remember him being mr. adventure" Carmen comments. I did find it to be pretty interesting. Usually when I make plans he wants details, but maybe since our talk on independence he's lightening up? "Actually I remember my mom telling me how my dad was quite a party animal in college" I said with my eye brows raised. "Shut up! I would've never guessed. He's literally a sheriff" she says in shock. "I'm serious! My mom supposedly met him in one of her classes and she heard about him due to his reputation. And I guess her and her friends went to a party one night and my dad saved her from a creep at the party. She didn't see him for the rest of the party, but Monday morning he asked her how she was after everything. He slowly started getting closer with my mom and developed a crush on her, and they ended up dating" I explained. Carmen was listening with an expression of amazement. "Oh my god that's so cute!" she cooed with a bright smile. "Yep. And I guess my dad went into law enforcement because supposedly an officer one night saved him from being kick out. The officer let him get away when he could've been caught. And after that he ended up tracking down the officer to thank him, and the guy ended up becoming a role model for my dad" I added. I remember every detail of that story, only due to how surprised I was. I asked about a million questions when my mom told me. "That's so cool. You know I always wish I could've met your mom" Carmen says while giving a soft smile. The words almost caused my eyes to water. I think about that all the time. My mom would've loved Carmen, and probably would've adopted her back when I first met her. "Me too" I reply with a smile. Carmen wrapped her arm around my shoulder as we continued down the hall.