menus

"Hey sweetie" my dad said while slightly knocking on my bedroom door. I glance up from just getting done putting my bag down in my room. "Hey" I say softly as my mouth feels dry from the walk home. "Didn't you mention something about spending the night with Carmen the other night?" he questions which makes me think back to Wednesday night after that annoying school day. "Oh yeah, after work I planned on staying the night at Carmen's" I reply to jog his memory. "Okay, but just wanted to say to be careful" he said giving me a frank flat smile which I nod my head to reassure him. 

My dad has always been cautious which isn't ironic as he's a literal police officer. But as much it's an annoyance of how much he warns and questions me, it mainly because he feels bad. He tends to work pretty long hours and he's not home much, but he tries his best. As for example today he must've stopped by the house this afternoon to question me about going to Carmen's. 

I heard my dad for awhile do some stuff around the apartment and then leave, which left me time to get ready for work. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hi I'm Kaya what can I get you?" I ask kindly to the two men ordering at the diner. "We'll take two Friday specials please" one man replied respectfully which made me smile in return and nod. 

Now I'm not saying it impossible to find a respectful customer but its kinda difficult. Its either they're rude, or completely ignore me. But it's always nice to meet someone who says please at least. It makes my job a little less sucky. Considering I work in a diner that's barely noticed my the owner with a shitty manager. And most of all I wear the stupidest outfit. It's not a complete cheesy diner waitress dress with colors of hot pink of red luckily. Its pretty minimal navy blue waitress style to it, but after I washed and shrunk it the first time it became a little too short for my liking. 

As I walked back to the counter of the diner I inserted the order for two men previously. My manager suddenly appeared from the back room of the restaurant with another waitress. Fucking pig  I think to myself as I knew exactly what was going on. Ron was disgusting from how much a sleeze bag he was. I still recalled when he made a pass at me last year when I was just 16. Although I wanted to tell my dad about the incident concerning Ron, I knew if I did I would get fired. Instead I rejected Ron and threatened to snitch if he ever tried with me ever again. He backed off, but now treats me like chop liver in result. But I'll take it, over loosing a job. By the way who the hell would hook up with a mid- 30's loser who lives with his mom?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I glanced at the clock looking at the time for at-least the 50th time this night. 10:40, can I fucking leave yet. 

As much I wish I could get off by now I couldn't. I was usually the last waitress left at the end of the night due to me begging for hours to save up. So as the ladies would leave I would sit at the counter attending to customers and dream of when work would end. "I'll see you Kaya" Lindsey said while heading out the door. I gave her a half smile in return while waving good bye. Lindsey was a young mother of two boys who I worked with, she was sweet and was working out of a rough patch. 

The diner was completely empty now, so I saw a glimmer of hope of closing early. But as much as I got excited a group of boys came walking in while laughing and chattering. SHIT . As I watched the boys walking in I saw a familiar boy apart of the group. WHAT THE FUCK IS JISUNG DOING HERE. 

Why out of all places? Through my year of working at the diner, I've realized that most people from my school don't stop by the diner. Mainly because their parents would probably beat them to death if they were found in this establishment in this part of town. The diner didn't belong to the slums, or middle class but rather a melting pot to all. Which was worse.