three questions

The whole day dragged on forever. It was one of those days when she looked at the watch after what felt like an eternity, but in reality it was only two minutes since she last looked at it.

Frustrated, Charlotte groaned and put the book aside, which she had been trying to read for days, but could not get beyond the third chapter, as she was repeatedly distracted in thought or in person by a certain gentleman.

Mary looked at her amused over her embroidery and casually said

"You have to be patient, there's still two hours."

"Another two hours?" Charlotte seemed almost desperate.

Mary shook her head in amusement and realized,

"I have already brought dinner forward, as Sidney had asked me to", she put her embroidery aside and patted Charlotte's knee,

"but maybe you should start looking for a dress that fits..." she left the sentence unfinished because Charlotte already jumped up and ran out of the room.

Normally, Charlotte didn't worry about her clothes. Every morning, depending on the weather and events, she would spontaneously decide what to wear. But today... In a small part of her brain, she knew or hoped what would or could happen today. Sidney would say what he accidentally said last night in other words. Or rather, ask her if....

Her heart was pounding violently in her chest at the thought. But she pushed it aside, because otherwise she would probably go to her date down at the cove naked, since she would forget her dress completely. At this thought she blushed and her imagination drifted to this certain gentleman again. What he had triggered in her! Through his touch and often only with a certain look.

Would he finally kiss her today?

She longed for it so much, although she didn't know how it would feel. But she had already felt his lips on her skin and... Oh, now her mind flew to him again and...

No! She had to keep a cool head and take care of a dress for now.

During dinner Charlotte sat in her chair like on hot coals. She slid back and forth, not taking part in the conversations and pushing the food back and forth disinterestedly. The wine got into her head a little and Mary reminded her to eat at least a bit,

"...or you'll have a weak stomach and..."

"Yes, you're right...".

Sidney had a lot to do all day. He wanted it perfect. He wanted Charlotte to remember this and be just happy.

Set up a tent in the green meadow above the cliff, not only to have Mary sit down and wait for them both, but to pick up Charlotte.

He was a bit nervous, he had imagined the whole situation only with the two of them, but in reality he couldn't do that. He hoped that Charlotte could enjoy it, even when Mary was watching from above.

Every few minutes he looked at his pocket watch and waited to see them coming. It was quite a way from Trafalgar house and he hoped Mary had stuck to the plan to eat earlier.

As the sky slowly turned orange and turned into a vibrant purple on the horizon, he became quite tense. Nervously, he kept stroking his vest and then awaited their arrival in the next few minutes.

He made the last moves with shaking fingers and slipped his jacket over his vest just in time when he saw them approaching. Mary then went into the tent without a word and just grazed his arm briefly, but he didn't really notice, as he only had eyes for Charlotte. In the last rays of the sun her skin looked golden and her hair shimmered slightly red. The fact that she was wearing the same dress and spencer as the day she met him here, thrilled him.