in the dunes

Charlotte could not fall asleep at first because her heart was pounding so wildly in her chest. What he had done to her neck gave her goose bumps all over her body. Oh, would it always be like this between them? What would happen on the walk tomorrow?

She tried to remember her questions and finally fell asleep.

Sidney sat in his room and wondered whether he should open the letter and read her questions, or whether it would be better to wait until tomorrow and open the letter with her. That would make his answers more spontaneous.

The most important thing is that these answers would not frighten her. He ran his hands over his face. He can't believe what he'd done! Kissing her neck! Had he gone mad? If anyone had come in! Her reputation. It wasn't right. He couldn't let himself go like that when he was with her. She touched something deep inside him. When he thought of her and saw her, his heart contracted, but in a pleasing way. When he was near her, he wanted to be even closer. Closer and closer. He had to touch her, it was a need like breathing. And as soon as he did, he forgot everything around him. Every little touch was a firework.

So it was a good idea to be with her in public tomorrow. At least that would prevent him from doing anything stupid.

When he was in Tom's study the next day, she came in with Mary and he choked briefly on his tea. She was gorgeous. Her hair was shiny and soft today. She had pinned it up at the sides and a slight blush appeared on her face as their eyes met. Her bright dress with little red flowers on it underlined the whole thing.

"Sidney!" cried Mary and greeted him kindly.

"Miss Heywood."

"Mr. Parker."

"So, erm...would you like to go now or would you rather later?"

"now." she interrupted him and he couldn't help but smile a little.

"Here you go, you two." Mary shook her head at them.

When they had gone for a while, they arrived at the beach and walked in the opposite direction of the bathing machines.

"So..." Sidney turned around to make sure that no one was near them and then pulled out the unopened letter. Embarrassed, Charlotte bit her lips and waited for him to open it.

This time the little letter was with his name on it, but no 'dear ' in front of it. It felt like a cold stick pressing into his heart, and he briefly pulled his face in that stabbing pain. Since her eyes were directed forward, she did not see how his features slipped away from him. He cleared his throat and then began to read.

"Why is there a pull in my belly?"

He looked at her and she blushed even more. If he hadn't been disappointed in some way, he'd have been glad about that fact.

"in the belly?" he laughed for a blink of an eye.

"Is this just a game to you, Mr. Parker?" she asked seriously and stopped.

Surprised by her, he stopped, too.

"No, of course not."

"Then why are you laughing?"

"Because you write in your belly."

"It pulls here." she put her hand on her middle and tears sparkled in her eyes.

Oh, he didn't want that. He didn't want her to be insecure or sad or angry. Although that was his favorite thing. He loved her fire.

"Charlotte"... her name on his lips, he reached for her. He didn't mean to, but somehow his hand did it on its own.