business talk

Charlotte was glad to be able to distract herself by all the work Tom had left her. She sat at his desk sorting bills and reminders, receipts of payments, letters from lawyers and banks. He had certainly not looked at any of this for weeks. When Mary walked into the room, Charlotte didn't notice her until she was standing right in front of her.

Amused, she said that Charlotte needed a break and should take a short walk to the beach with her and the children. Charlotte was happy for the fresh air and was happy to come along. As they passed the hotel, she looked up to his window and then to the door, not that he would run into her now, she really couldn't stand that. Perhaps she could ask Mary what all this was about. She looked at her friend, opened her mouth to speak, but immediately decided against it. She could only tell Mary if she told her everything. Anything at all, and she knew it would only cause problems. Instead, she took a deep breath and walked with the kids to the beach.

After about an hour in the fresh air, the children were quiet enough to sit in their schoolroom and Charlotte had new energy to continue her work. The ladies said goodbye and Charlotte continued to rummage through the papers.

Today Sidney was in a terrible mood. He didn't know exactly what was wrong with him. Rested and in a good mood, he had awakened. Knowing that Charlotte had visited him in his dreams, he had even smiled, until he came to Trafalgar House less than an hour ago and found only Tom. The talk of new ideas and investors bored him, Tom, of course, noticed nothing of it and stopped only briefly when Mary came into the dining room and greeted both men who had spread out countless papers on the table.

"Tom, you really ought to pay Charlotte something for all the work she's done."

Sidney's heart leapt when he heard her name.

"But my dear, it was her idea, as long as she's here, she's working as my assistant..."

"Tom!" cried his wife, "she is our guest and does not have to pay for it with work! This morning she was so engrossed in work, I hardly found her under all that paper."

Mary shook her head and then said to Sidney, laughing,

"Maybe you can make sure she gets something for her work."

Why Sidney now felt somehow caught by his sister-in-law he couldn't say, he nodded silently to her and sat down at the table with Tom again. He studied his brother for a moment before asking him how it had come about.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, how come you let Char...erm... Miss Heywood to do your paperwork?"

"Well, I showed her the model and she said she's helping her father and she'd like to help if she could."

"You've got to show her some appreciation." why Sidney's face suddenly twitched, as if it were deforming into a smile, Tom noticed just as little as the soft tone Sidney suddenly had in his voice.

"Yes, I know nothing about that. Mary should buy her something."

"Tom."

"Well, or you, next time you're in London." His heart danced with joy, that was the permission he needed to buy her a gift. Oh, that was wonderful!

„Now we can talk about the new......"

„Mr. Parker?"

There she stood. In one of her enchanting white dresses, which emphasized her youth and unspoiled nature all the more, and Sidney immediately felt dirty and unworthy of her. Her eyes were big and round from shock or amazement, her lips slightly open.